• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus Om-d E-m5 (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
Hello all

i came across this link

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/08/Olympus_OM-D_E-M5_announced

and just wanted to know if anyone knows what are the lenses offered in this picture, are they the current m4/3 ones or are they new ones.

as IMHO the main problem with the Olympus cameras is the shortage in long reach lenses. it seems they cannot be convinced that 300mm on 4/3 frame is not enough for wild life photography.

wonder if they will be a zoom that reaches to 400mm, or a 400mm, and 500 mm prime, that are offered in reasonable prices.

Attachments

• accessories.jpg
    accessories.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I imagine they are deliberately focusing their efforts away from the long lens market because let's face it that really is the domain of Canon and Nikon with their share of the photography market in general being so huge only they have the money which having all that brings to funnel into R&D and production of hugely expensive telephotos. Only Sigma can really lay claim to successfully competing with them in this regard.

And now Sony, who have are introducing their 500mm f4 super telephoto lens from April in A mount. Very expensive, but probably no more so than the Canikon equivalent.

Nice with me A77, better start saving, or selling body parts and children.:-O

And now Sony, who have are introducing their 500mm f4 super telephoto lens from April in A mount. Very expensive, but probably no more so than the Canikon equivalent.

Nice with me A77, better start saving, or selling body parts and children.:-O
Out of interest, I did a search to see how much it is likely to cost and came up with $16,200 US plus tax. That converts to £10,230 plus tax! How many children do you have to sell or which body parts can you do without?

Ron

Out of interest, I did a search to see how much it is likely to cost and came up with $16,200 US plus tax. That converts to £10,230 plus tax! How many children do you have to sell or which body parts can you do without?

Ron

I'd sell as many children as required. Mind, I've none of my own so would have to round them up off the street first.... ;)

A Fagin for the digital age eh. ;)

Yup!

Not sure about this release mind. The E series dslrs weren't a great success, against the flocks of canikon releases. They hit a vein with the Pen, so decide to reinvent the much loved OM series, but not the mount. What next? Olympus M4/3 Plate camera?

...and just wanted to know if anyone knows what are the lenses offered in this picture, are they the current m4/3 ones or are they new ones...

That seems to be the full range of lenses as they stand at the moment including the new ones introduced with the new cameras (but which are not yet available) - the new 60mm macro, for instance is just in front of the smallest flashgun.

Some of the lenses are available in both black and silver colour so the line-up looks greater than it is in reality.

Anything much longer than 300mm with a reasonable maximum aperture will go against the compact 'ethos' of the m4/3rds system somewhat, though it's not impossible if there is enough demand.

The owner of the Four Thirds User site has just posted that, according to his very reliable sources, the E-M5 sensor is NOT made by Panasonic. He doesn't know who it is made by though. That is a real surprise and contradicts nearly everything I have read about the sensor so far. The site liaises very closely with Olympus, so I am inclined to believe this revelation.

Ron

I don't think a sensor by Pana is necessarily bad nor that another one is necessarily good -- it will be interesting to see what the high ISO iq is when some production version cameras appear. (High iso because the birding lenses so far are not fast).

Niels

I use Olympus Pen as my primary camera, mostly for travel and with a viewfinder attached.
The OM-D really interests me. Tokina is making a 300mm mirror lenses which will be quite small-manual focus. Maybe $200. I am not a bird photographer, but thinking about it to be able to document a tick. Any thoughts?

Mike

Tokina is making a 300mm mirror lenses which will be quite small-manual focus. Maybe $200. I am not a bird photographer, but thinking about it to be able to document a tick. Any thoughts?

Mike

The zooms by Olympus and Panasonic would be better (75-300mm and 100-300mm) though more than $200 each. They would be somewhat bigger but neither is exactly huge and a lens can be too small for comfortable use. The Panasonic one also has F5.6 as its maximum aperture at the 300mm end of the zoom and a close enough minimum focus distance for larger insect subjects such as butterflies and dragonflies, etc.

so 1 % above the GH2 if I remember correctly ;)

Niels
That's true. If they had improved the video specs a bit they could have got a better score but it's still an unusually favourable review of an Olympus camera from DPR. Just a shame I can't afford one to play with.

Ron

Last edited:
Kodak did make 4/3rd sensors at one stage, could they have acquired some design off kodak?
I think Kodak sold off their sensor division late last year, when they were having financial difficulties. Many people still think that the E-M5 uses a modified Panasonic sensor but nobody knows for certain at the moment. I suppose it doesn't really matter who makes it as long as it works.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back