• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus Om-d E-m5 (1 Viewer)

One detail that sounds pretty strange:
Image stabilization is also disengaged for frame rates of 4fps and above (and for all frame rates unless the slightly confusing 'Sequential Shooting + IS Off' setting in the Custom menu isn't set to 'Off'). However, we found that the IS performance was considerably poorer when used with continuous shooting, so don't expect it to be there to hold your hand in low-light situations.

A couple of other issues that maybe or maybe not are important, but the low light capabilities could be advantageous given the relatively slow m4/3 long lenses

Niels

OM-D with Panny 100-300 seems like a very good option according to some of the initial reviews.
Yes the OM-D and either the Panasonic 100-300 or Olympus 75-300 sound as if they work well together. It seems that there is not a lot to choose between the two lenses but the Panasonic is much cheaper and comes with a lens hood and pouch. They both have quite small maximum apertures though and rather slow.

The OM-D seems to be a big hit and stocks are only now starting to catch up with demand, especially for the silver version. Apparently it is quite complicated to set up, as just about everything is customisable. It has recently been revealed that the sensor is made by Sony, which is a pleasant surprise and from what I can tell the image quality and noise levels are very good indeed. The main problem at the moment is that there haven't been any extra batteries available anywhere, although fresh stocks should be appearing soon

I would very much like an OM-D but I would have to sell some of my gear to afford one, so it will have to wait for the time being. Hopefully, in a few months the price will have come down a bit too.

Ron

Last edited:
See my quote in post 21 of this thread for the only drawback I really know of for the OM-D. There has been several threads on comparing the two long lenses on DPReview, and even though the 100-300 got some good press initially, the judgment is a little bit more up in the air recently, as there has been some very good images from the olympus lens. Slow yes, but with a sensor capable of high iso and image stabilization of the sensor in the OM-D, apparently not a lot to separate those two lenses. In my case with a GH2, there was no doubt, pana lens for me.

Niels

"Image stabilization is also disengaged for frame rates of 4fps and above"

Will be interesting to see what happens with fps if OM-D IS is disengaged and Lens OIS engaged.

Will get a chance to test shortly.

For the older Oly bodies, the IBIS has been reported to be less effective somewhat compared to the OIS in Pany's lenses. Now the EM-5 has been reportedly given better IBIS, and the 100-300's OIS has been enhanced by a software update. Do let us know your test results.

Just got my Oly + 12-50. Decent digiscoping potential from initial tests.

When added the 100-300, focus was a bit slow but the light was pretty low. Still using the old firmware on the lens (1.0) so will update tomorrow and test with some birds.

I've used E100RS, Pentax WR, Coolpix CP990, Nikon P6000, Pentax K100 Super and Panny G1 over the years and think this camera has the potential to trump them all for digiscoping and general photography. For pure fun though, my favourite remains the E100RS which took superb 1.3mpx pictures that still look better than some 12-16mpx I see out there.

I'm getting better pictures with the OM-D + Panny 100-300 the more I understand how I can customise the the OM-D buttons and settings.

The two dials to immediately change EV Comp and Selected Priority value (Aperture or Shutter etc.) are quickly accessible from shot to shot. Also, I assigned the Digital Zoom x 2 and MF enable functions to the readily accessible F1 and F2 buttons.

What all of this means is that after getting the bird in a frame, all of these settings can be quickly changed if needed with the eye still looking through the EVF.

Also as with most cameras, setting Drive to 4fps on pressing (or higher) will give greater chance of a good picture.

Still to research options for mapping ISO and Metering settings, maybe to the directional pad during record mode.

In manual mode, it seemed as if EV Comp was changing automatically, so hopefully this is an option to disable since prefer doing any such adjustments manually.

Typically I shoot in Aperture Priority and on occasion, Shutter Priority. Care must be taken not to crank the ISO too high otherwise blown highlights may happen (esp with Shutter Priority).

For focus setting, I find the AFS (Single Shot) + MF as the best option to get initial focus and then adjust MF if needed. However this is not easy with the layout of the Panny lens where the focus ring is a bit away from the hand and a bit stiff so I only use if the bird is pretty static. Very difficult to quickly MF with a target for less than a couple seconds. I also disabled the Oly magnify option in the EVF during MF as it always puts me off.

Currently I prefer the OIS in the Panny 100-300 lens (updated lens firmware 1.2) to the IBIS. I'm not seeing the great advantage of IBIS as yet as many of the reviews are indicating.

While the dials and buttons of the OM-D are in the right places for on the fly settings changes, the standard camera does not hold in the hand as easily as my Panasonic G1 body. In fact I would say the G1 is far superior in how it feels in the hand. Also, I'm a bit worried about the quality of the OM-D buttons. They feel a bit cheap compared to the G1 and not sure how long will last. A pity given all the great features of the OM-D.

Overall, the OM-D + Panny 100-300 is a very good kit for taking bird photos, once you are willing to invest the time to experiment with the many Oly settings. The horrendously expensive add-on Oly Grip would improve greatly the ergonomics of the setup but I'll pass for now since that cash can go towards another lens.

I would recommend. What I would really like to see is a 300mm F4 or a 400mm F5.6 quality lens.

Thats my quick assessment after using for a few days. Hope it helps anyone considering.

Thanks RKA.
Using the GH2, I usually try to get an autofocus that is pretty close and fire a few shots like that before trying to do any manual focusing, so in many ways my experience with the 100-300 parallel yours. However, still using the GH2, I find that the magnify option in the EVF is worth getting to grips with, even if it takes a little while getting used to work like that.

Hope you get to really love your new camera, so far it looks good! (for example on the juvenile tropical pewee photo).

On OM-D, just did firmware update from v1.1 to v1.5. Initial quick testing shows great improvement in IBIS performance.

In an earlier post with my Panny 100-300mm lens, I had preferred the OIS in the lens to IBIS. Now the IBIS seems very very good with OIS disabled. Will test thoroughly over the weekend with birds.

On OM-D, just did firmware update from v1.1 to v1.5. Initial quick testing shows great improvement in IBIS performance.

In an earlier post with my Panny 100-300mm lens, I had preferred the OIS in the lens to IBIS. Now the IBIS seems very very good with OIS disabled. Will test thoroughly over the weekend with birds.

i also find the OIS of the Panny (as you call it :-O and i love it) to the IBIS of the EPL1, i know there is no comparison between the EPL1 and OM-d, but i am hoping the new EPL5 will have this update, along with the new sony 16MP sensor.

but i have to say that with the IBIS and the Sigma 50-500mm, supported with a bean bag on the car window i got shots like this one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ammadoux/5720055084/in/photostream/

and...

ammadoux: that is a another wonderful photo. You and others here on the panny (and micro 4/3) section, give me a lot of hope that I can do the same with practice.

enjoyed the other pics as well.

john

rka,

Could you please comment on the performance of your OM-D EM-5 with the Pana 100-300mm in

- focusing on the bird in continuous focus mode?

- shooting with the OM-D @ 4fps or so, so AF is performed (as I understand it) at every shot?

Thanks a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back