• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caged Goshawk!!! (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

I've made a horrible discovery today.
It's been a lovely sunny afternoon and I had spent more time than usual in the back yard of the shop,tidying,counting stock etc.
I'd been hearing a Buzzard like mew for a while and kept looking skywards but to no avail.
When my boss arrived we returned to the yard and I heard the "mewing" again.
Imagine my horror at being told "oh it's the Goshawk belonging to the bloke next door"!!!!!!!
Can you keep a bird of prey in a cage in back yard???
Surely it's illegal???
I'm mortified for the poor thing!!!!

Ruth Daniel said:
It's been a lovely sunny afternoon and I had spent more time than usual in the back yard of the shop,tidying,counting stock etc.
I'd been hearing a Buzzard like mew for a while and kept looking skywards but to no avail.
Imagine my horror at being told "oh it's the Goshawk belonging to the bloke next door"!!!!!!!
Surely it's illegal???

As far as im aware ruth,
as long as the bird in question was bred in captivity then its legal.

Ruth Daniel said:
Surely it's illegal???

I don't think there's anything to stop him keeping it, unless of cause the housing is inadequate or its a wild caught bird.

Otherwise, i think its all legal, though perhaps a licence is needed.

Thanks for the info guys.
Though I still think it's cruel to keep a bird of prey in a cage and to hear it's mournful mewing was quite disturbing!
Best wishes,

Ruth Daniel said:
Thanks for the info guys.
Though I still think it's cruel to keep a bird of prey in a cage and to hear it's mournful mewing was quite disturbing!
Best wishes,

Hello Ruth

It must be a horrible sound, I remember when I was young we lived in London and our next door neighbours had a pet (!!!) tortoise, which they kept caged up on concrete, occasionally throwing it the odd lettuce leaf. Naturally the poor thing kept trying to escape, we always hid it when we could in our flower beds, it loved our ice plants. The sound of this tortoise banging into its cage walls in an effort to knock them down will remain with me for ever.

Bridie

Hi Bridie,

Our tortoise used to be quite an escape artist! When we moved from London to Bristol we put him out in the garden surrounded by heavy boxes to keep him safe until we could be sure there was a secure boundary for him, but he was like one of those tanks you see on TV. He just pushed and moved them out of the way!

Cheers, :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back