• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (54 Viewers)

Just a quick post with a few shots taken yesterday and today. Yesterday a shot of a Scraggy looking White-Letter Hairsteak taken by river Salworpe. Today Kingfisher and Juvinile Water Rail taken from Water Rail hide this afternoon. Juv Water Rail now flying and seems to be getting colour on beak.

Simon P
:news:

Hi Simon - which hide was the Water Rail photo taken from?

Phil

Two of the "commoner" species yet to be recorded at Upton Warren in 2011 are Garganey and Pintail. For both numbers seem to have declined in recent years with fewer long-staying pairs / flocks.

Below are the stats year-on-year and also in blocks of four years of the culmalative daily totals for both species (missing data for '95 and '96):

Unfortunately the figures for 95 & 96 are going to be a little sketchy, but minimum bird-days are:

Pintail 95 - 114 (five fed on the Moors pool for 'much of the month')
96 - 91 (almost continuously present from 3/1-29/3)

Garganey 95 - 1
96 - 141 (conceivably over 150)

Cheers
Mike

Unfortunately the figures for 95 & 96 are going to be a little sketchy, but minimum bird-days are:

Pintail 95 - 114 (five fed on the Moors pool for 'much of the month')
96 - 91 (almost continuously present from 3/1-29/3)

Garganey 95 - 1
96 - 141 (conceivably over 150)

Cheers
Mike

Cheers Mike - I have fed the info into the revised charts below.

On the most productive years the figures included are likely to be an under-representation of the true picture; the annual reports didnt go into huge detail when birds were present for several weeks in rising and falling numbers.

What this does show is that whilst there are notable fluctuations year-on-year, the overall pattern is a downwards one for both species. It would be interesting to know what the trend has been for Pintail numbers at the likes of Slimbridge and Ashleworth in the same period.

Attachments

• Garganey - annual.jpg
    Garganey - annual.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Garganey - 4 year totals.jpg
    Garganey - 4 year totals.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Pintail - annual.jpg
    Pintail - annual.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Pintail - 4 year totals.jpg
    Pintail - 4 year totals.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 66
Please note that the Flashes will be disturbed on the evening of Tuesday 26th July for a ragwort pulling session in anticipation of livestock potentially being introduced into this side of the reserve later in the year.

What time are you hoping to get started Phil?
I might be able to call in for a short while after work to give you a hand...

Hi Dennis - did you see the colour of the rings and how far up the leg they were? (can find details of six different colour-ringing projects for Common Sand)

Cheers
Phil

Phil, further to my report on Friday, i got to moors at 5am so it wasnt quite light, saw the sandpiper but it was quite far away from East hide. through the bins i noticed a flash of yellow on one leg so decided to take a few snaps. It was continuously being flushed by BHGs and as it landed i saw that the single flash of yellow was now in 2 pieces (on lower right leg) then saw it had plain metal ring on lower left leg. On processing pics i now see what is possibly a white coloured ring high up on its left leg! It would be interesting to know where it was all done! I have attached a couple of admittedly dodgy pics with the usual caveats of poor light (iso 1200 before anything would register!), far distance etc regards Dennis

Attachments

• 001a.jpg
    001a.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 95
Phil, further to my report on Friday, i got to moors at 5am so it wasnt quite light, saw the sandpiper but it was quite far away from East hide. through the bins i noticed a flash of yellow on one leg so decided to take a few snaps. It was continuously being flushed by BHGs and as it landed i saw that the single flash of yellow was now in 2 pieces (on lower right leg) then saw it had plain metal ring on lower left leg. On processing pics i now see what is possibly a white coloured ring high up on its left leg! It would be interesting to know where it was all done! I have attached a couple of admittedly dodgy pics with the usual caveats of poor light (iso 1200 before anything would register!), far distance etc regards Dennis

Thanks Dennis - when I saw the bird on Saturday the two yellow rings had slid together to make it look like one very large band. Also in the field the "high" ring looked sky blue (which doesnt match any known ringing programme); white would make more sense. This would appear to match a British colour-ringing scheme which would suggest that the bird was ringed in 2000! Unfortunately the quoted email address isnt working so I will try the lead for another of the Common Sand ringing projects.

Cheers
Phil

Last edited:
What time are you hoping to get started Phil?
I might be able to call in for a short while after work to give you a hand...

HiSiVi - we are aiming to start at 7pm and hopefully should take no more than 30-45 minutes to pull and remove all the ragwort. Of course all this will be put on hold if a rarity is present (a Red-necked Stint would be very nice ....)

Phil

Last edited:
Thanks Dennis - when I saw the bird on Saturday the two yellow rings had slid together to make it look like one very large band. Also in the field the "high" ring looked sky blue (which doesnt match any known ringing programme); white would make more sense. This would appear to match a British colour-ringing scheme which would suggest that the bird was ringed in 2000! Unfortunately the quoted email address isnt working so I will try the lead for another of the Common Sand ringing projects.

Cheers
Phil

Hi Phil,

The bird in the photo's looks like a juvenile to me, which would rule out the 2000 ringing project. I would also agree that the ring on the tibia does look sky blue. I've checked the ringing schemes for Common Sand and there are no links to any 2011 projects so far. This guy might be worth emailing. I'm sure he will put you in the right direction. [email protected]

Cheers Steve

Last edited:
Just a quick post with a few shots taken yesterday and today. Yesterday a shot of a Scraggy looking White-Letter Hairsteak taken by river Salworpe. Today Kingfisher and Juvinile Water Rail taken from Water Rail hide this afternoon. Juv Water Rail now flying and seems to be getting colour on beak.

Simon P
:news:
Good to see you decided to post the WLH after all. Smart images!

Rob

HiSiVi - we are aiming to start at 7pm and hopefully should take no more than 30-45 minutes to pull and remove all the ragwort. Of course all this will be put on hold if a rarity is present (a Red-necked Stint would be very nice ....)

Phil

Hmm - somewhat later than I'll be in the area, Phil - Sorry. I even remembered to throw my fork in the back of the Landie. Oh well...

Hmm - somewhat later than I'll be in the area, Phil - Sorry. I even remembered to throw my fork in the back of the Landie. Oh well...

No worries Sy - some of us have to do a proper day's work ...

Thanks to Mike, Des, Dave and Graham for their time tonight in removing ragwort from the Flashes; we concentrated our efforts on the areas most likely to be grazed by livestock ie the sewage meadow.

Birds were thin on the ground with 15 Green Sand, 3 LRP, a distant Hobby, 2 Peregrines on the masts, a Water Rail calling from by the oak tree and approx 500 BH Gulls in the roost by the time myself and Mike left at 9:30.

Further to my list of ringing records in post # 6087, a few more interesting occurences have come to light:

CURLEW

One ringed as a first year at Wellington, Shropshire on the 9th August 1980 was found freshly dead 17 years later at Upton Warren on the 27th February 1997 having hit power cables.

BLACK-HEADED GULL
One ringed as an adult near Rostock, Germany on the 22nd May 1992 was found freshly dead two months later at Upton Warren on the 27th July 1992.

MEDITERRANEAN GULL
One ringed as a nestling at Zwijndrecht near Antwerpen, Belgium on the 2nd June 2006 was noted at Upton Warren on the 20th August 2006.

CETTI'S WARBLER
A female ringed at Upton Warren as a nestling on the 3rd June 2004 was recaught at Pett Level / Icklesham, East Sussex on the 8th October 2004 and again on the 2nd October 2005 and 23rd January 2006.
A female ringed as a juvenile at Brandon Marsh, Warwicks on the 10th August 2005 was re-caught at Upton Warren on the 18th July 2009

REED WARBLER
A first year female ringed at Upton Warren on the 26th August 1984 was recaught only a few miles way at Hewell Grange, Tardebigge some 7 years later on the 4th July 1991

LESSER REDPOLL
An adult male ringed at Upton Warren on the 28th February 2009 was re-caught in the Greystoke Forest, Cumbria on the 1st November 2010.

Last edited:
Hi Phil,

The bird in the photo's looks like a juvenile to me, which would rule out the 2000 ringing project. I would also agree that the ring on the tibia does look sky blue. I've checked the ringing schemes for Common Sand and there are no links to any 2011 projects so far. This guy might be worth emailing. I'm sure he will put you in the right direction. [email protected]

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve - I was looking too much at the rings and not at the bird; that why you are birding royalty and I'm just a peasant! Would agree it appears to be a juvenile. Unfortunately all the emails I send to Allan Mee get bounced back so I have submitted it to the BTO website; as potentially a 2011 ringing scheme it may not yet be listed on the Euring website.

Regards
Phil

A small point worth noting with regard to the removal of the Ragwort - i took part in a number of very large-scale 'pulls on a number of chalk grassland reserves in Southern England in the late '70's/early'80s - e.g 100+ volunteers whilst working for the Nature Conservancy.

Their basic guidelines were -

Pulling ideally took place after a period of rain as the plants were more likely to be pulled completely due to the soil being softer.

Forks were not to be used as this broke up more turf area thus making more habitat for Ragwort seed to germinate.

Material pulled was to be removed off site as once pulled the plant withers and loses its' bitter taste and could be ingested by grazing cattle.

Just one or two points which you may know already, if not, you might find helpful.......:t:

Laurie -

Hi Laurie,

All the ragwort was pulled by hand and removed off site. Rain - whats that? ;) (we were able to walk right across the second Flash to the far shore). What we did find was that whilst the plants in front of the hide were in full bloom once we got into the sewage meadow many of the plants had yet to flower - presumably due to competition from other species - resulting in far more stems being identified that were first envisaged. We have done our best but its a year on year battle; just hope the Trust do put some form of grazing in now following our efforts.

Phil

Last edited:
Oh - you can always take the stuff home, the Roman used to make an aphrodisiac out of it!!!:eek!:

Laurie -

Well Des did leave rather early and in a hurry - some feeble excuse about the state of the M5 but perhaps it was just a cover story .... 8-P

Last edited:
Hi Laurie,

All the ragwort was pulled by hand and removed off site. Rain - whats that? ;) (we were able to walk right across the second Flash to the far shore). What we did find was that whilst the plants in front of the hide were in full bloom once we got into the sewage meadow many of the plants had yet to flower - presumably due to competition from other species - resulting in far more stems being identified that were first envisaged. We have done our best but its a year on year battle; just hope the Trust do put some form of grazing in now following our efforts.

Phil

I noticed that in areas that we concentrated pulling Ragwort from in previous years (i.e. in front of the hide) had much less extensive stands than when we first started doing this a few years ago. This indicates to me that we are probably keeping on top of it.

Another method we could try is spot-treatment with Citronella oil - a 'natural', effective and safe herbicide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back