• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is Gambia still a safe country to visit? (1 Viewer)

Jason Coppock

Planning on a return birding trip to this fantastic country early next year
but there have been a few disconcerting news reports coming out of Gambia
of late... Is it still a safe place to bird?

I'm not sure of the current issues and how long ago they were/still are, but I went on my own in January and walked around freely no problem. People were so friendly, I would hate to think that things have got bad over there.

If you do go, go for Adamawa Turtle Dove, awesome and rare!!!

This from the Foreign Office on gov.uk. I guess you take it for what it is....advice....
Following The Gambia’s recent decision to withdraw from the Commonwealth, there has been an increasing amount of anti-UK rhetoric from the Gambian President shown on TV and reported in the newspapers. This may increase anti-UK sentiment among parts of the wider population. You should avoid discussing politically sensitive topics.

Following political disagreement between the government of The Gambia and the European Union about the deterioration of human rights in The Gambia there has been an increase in political tension which may lead to unannounced demonstrations in Banjul and other parts of the country. You should avoid all demonstrations.

Most visits to The Gambia are trouble-free although independent travellers are at increased risk due to the lack of local support in an emergency. If you’re travelling independently, make sure next of kin in the UK have details of your itinerary and keep in regular touch.

is gambia still safe ?

going tomorrow for 2 weeks, i will let you know provided we get back3:), we staying at senegambia hotel again, been before and loved it.

hello arrived back safe after 2 weeks in gambia staying at the senegambia hotel, weather was very hot,hotel very good again but they are painting everywhere and also building work is going on,it did`nt affect us in anyway, they are building or completely renovating a new block off rooms, it was said the hotel as been sold and the new owners are cleaning it up, it was also said they wanted to stop feeding the birds, i don`t know how true this is, but they have cleaned the grounds up and i personally think there was not as many small birds in the grounds this time,we did`nt have any trouble or hear of any trouble, you can walk about on your own, they have cleared the beach up no bumbsters at all,police patrol it ,walking and on push bikes, we had a good 2 weeks.

Arrived back in the early hours this morning after a week (4 nights Bakotu Hotel, 3 nights Mandina Lodge).....re: O/P query, can confirm it's a safe place to bird (or that's what I found)....I've not visited before, but the general vibe seems cheerful and friendly throughout.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back