• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (23 Viewers)

Popped into the reserve on way home from Spain yesterday and bought a £3.00 permit. Super reserve with some great birds, just wish I could have stayed longer. Phalarope showing well if a little distantly.

Just one comment though, the hide was the noisiest I have been in for a while, it was more like a local birders community centre with constant and fairly loud chatter and the door constantly slamming. Remember birds have ears...

Popped into the reserve on way home from Spain yesterday and bought a £3.00 permit. Super reserve with some great birds, just wish I could have stayed longer. Phalarope showing well if a little distantly.

Just one comment though, the hide was the noisiest I have been in for a while, it was more like a local birders community centre with constant and fairly loud chatter and the door constantly slamming. Remember birds have ears...

Good point Bob on all counts, we do get a little excited and carried away on some occasions. At other times you could hear a pin drop. As far as a community centre if you come on the spring or autumn 'all - dayer' it is more like a greasy spoon cafe when we are cooking our bacon and mushrooms 8-P and there is a great camaraderie amongst the Lads .
Upton is quite unique also because as friends and birders we have a big say in looking after the reserve and its management, under the auspices of the worcestershire WT. So if there is something that needs improving or changing then within guidelines we do it. Much of the habitat you saw at the Flashes is man made all the small and medium sized island, channels and ditches have been created with our bare hands and nobody gets paid for it either.
It is a very welcoming and friendly place to visit unless you want something for nothing... no more on that subject:smoke:
Did you visit the Moors section of the reserve that is the freshwater habitat that is twice the size of the Flashes.
Anyway glad you saw the bird and comments have been noted. Re door on SW winds the gust of wind does catch you unaware and the door does slam.
B :)John

I remember we used to have a sign up along the path saying exactly that.....

Points noted. However, I think the resident Lapwings and LRP's are fairly used to the level of noise - they mostly nest in an arc around the main hide on the flashes - perhaps the noise offers protection against predators. ;)

I get a bit more concerned when I see people leaning out of the front of the hide and pointing etc. Those stupid wooden 'cushion' things get on my nerves, too - especially when they get knocked off and crash to the floor. Anyway, that's my (small) gripe over. No real complaints :t:

Imagine our species count if we were less sociable !! 8-P

I remember squashing into the Hen pool hide not long ago with a dozen or so birders and no one breathed a word for 45 minutes , and we got our reward seeing the Bluethroat.

Perhaps it's a bit of background chatter that keeps the Phals and Spoonbills dropping into the Flashes, or having so many able birders in one place to spot the goodies ..Who knows :t:

Those stupid wooden 'cushion' things get on my nerves, too - especially when they get knocked off and crash to the floor. :t:

I could'nt agree more, I always move them to the bench at the back of the hide to prevent them being knocked off. As for the chatter it can sometimes be fairly loud, it would be interesting to know if this puts birds off, in my (limited) experience it seems to have no bearing.

Over the years I have noticed that birds are more spooked by two legs . I have pulled up in my car only a few feet from Kestrels and watched them devour prey, they have totally ignored my presence, however as soon as you step out of the vehicle they flee.

Two legs is what spooks them, they have learned to fear bi-peds.

Hi Gav or two arms like Dave mentioned.
With curlews sometimes roosting just a few yards away and lapwing nesting just feet away, I think the birds are prepared to put up with a certain amount of noise. I know magpies don't come as close when humans are around which certainly benefits breeding waders. But I suppose we could turn the volume down a couple of notches, all good banter though. :t:

Hi Gav or two arms like Dave mentioned.
With curlews sometimes roosting just a few yards away and lapwing nesting just feet away, I think the birds are prepared to put up with a certain amount of noise. I know magpies don't come as close when humans are around which certainly benefits breeding waders. But I suppose we could turn the volume down a couple of notches, all good banter though. :t:

Hi John,

Good point I assume the visual threat of something waving around is strong in most species, even dogs can perceive it as a threat. I am really interested in observing birds and noting their different reactions to things, it's something I find really interesting, and I agree John the volume could be turned down a tad.

P.S. I got an A- for that essay about surveying techniques.

Hi John,

Good point I assume the visual threat of something waving around is strong in most species, even dogs can perceive it as a threat. I am really interested in observing birds and noting their different reactions to things, it's something I find really interesting, and I agree John the volume could be turned down a tad.

P.S. I got an A- for that essay about surveying techniques.

good result now you can teach me to do it properly:t:

[/B]
good result now you can teach me to do it properly:t:

Haha, you do a grand job, I think you are as good a bird ecologist as I know, you cannot learn the stuff you know at uni, experience in the field is what counts, I may know how to write an essay, but I'd swap that for your knowledge anyday :t:

|
Haha, you do a grand job, I think you are as good a bird ecologist as I know, you cannot learn the stuff you know at uni, experience in the field is what counts, I may know how to write an essay, but I'd swap that for your knowledge anyday :t:

Very nice of you to say Gav|:$|
B :)John

I'd have to defend the wooden cushion !! As someone with 3 very ropey disc's in my back they allow me to sit at the correct height for longer with less discomfort.. and set my scope at a better position . Please don't chuck em,, hopefully if and when a new hide appears it will be a bit more 'comfy' for the vertebreally challenged ;)

I'd have to defend the wooden cushion !! As someone with 3 very ropey disc's in my back they allow me to sit at the correct height for longer with less discomfort.. and set my scope at a better position . Please don't chuck em,, hopefully if and when a new hide appears it will be a bit more 'comfy' for the vertebreally challenged ;)

That's an oxymoron if there ever was one 8-P

John just texted to say the Phal is still on the flashes.

Nobody else been down today? Gert, I thought you had the week of.;)

Now the longest stayer!

Last edited:
Thanks all for the honest responses. Birds are more affected by "two legs" - thats why hides are such a good idea, and cars make excellent hides.

I think that we all sometimes just forget that although the birds can be very tolerant of our disturbance, we often forget just how intrusive the disturbance can be, not just for the birds, but also for visiting birders!

Keep up the good work - as I said it's a cracking spot.

I could'nt agree more, I always move them to the bench at the back of the hide to prevent them being knocked off. As for the chatter it can sometimes be fairly loud, it would be interesting to know if this puts birds off, in my (limited) experience it seems to have no bearing.

Over the years I have noticed that birds are more spooked by two legs . I have pulled up in my car only a few feet from Kestrels and watched them devour prey, they have totally ignored my presence, however as soon as you step out of the vehicle they flee.

8-P
..and slapheads, which is why I should wear a hat.

Always good to see a visting birder enjoying the reserve.

Des - that must have been your Wednesday crew being a tad vocal; tell them all to pipe down! ;)

Anyone wanting to respond to the post requesting confirmation of the longest staying RNP in Worcs?

Always good to see a visting birder enjoying the reserve.

Des - that must have been your Wednesday crew being a tad vocal; tell them all to pipe down! ;)

Anyone wanting to respond to the post requesting confirmation of the longest staying RNP in Worcs?

Yes, Gwen Finch Wetland: August 22nd to 25th 1999. Remember it well, although it was a little distant. But now that record has fallen to phalarope city!

Brian

Yes, Gwen Finch Wetland: August 22nd to 25th 1999. Remember it well, although it was a little distant. But now that record has fallen to phalarope city!

Brian

Cheers Brian - at the moment its a joint record with both birds present for 4 days but who knows what tomorrow may bring. Amazed it hasnt cleared out with several relatively clear nights.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back