• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorelarks at Spion Cop Cemetery, Hartlepool (1 Viewer)

gnome

I'm posting to find out more details about the 3 Shorelarks that are currently hanging around near Spion Cop Cemetery in Hartlepool. According to RBA they are south of the cemetery but from what I remember there's just the road south of the cemetery so this seems unlikely. Are they actually to the west where all the building spoils and rough ground are located?

Also, any news on the Snow Buntings? They were being reported to the north of the Brus Tunnel area but they've not been mentioned for a few days now.

TIA

Adam

Hi Adam

The birds have been south of the cemetery this year, but have been flying quite a way and going towards an area near the tunnels.

Actually it's not quite south, more east.

On the map i've attached, the Black area is the cemetery, blue is where the birds were mainly seen last year and red area is where they being seen mainly this year.

Hope this helps a little.

No idea about the Snow Buntings in the area, doesn't seem to be many anywhere in Cleveland at the moment.

Chris.

Attachments

• Spion Kop.jpg
    Spion Kop.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 323
Had not visited this site (Spion Cop Jewish Cemetery) for several months light wasn't good but Snow Buntings x5 seen and Shore Larks x2.
Birds well camouflaged blending well amongst the rubble. Was surprised to see all the building work that is going on. Wonder if years down the line if they will end up subsiding due to the sea eating away at the dunes.
http://www.trampsandhawkers.co.uk/gallery/

Attachments

• Snow Bunting20160216Hartlepool (Jewish Graveyard)DSC_1362.jpg
    Snow Bunting20160216Hartlepool (Jewish Graveyard)DSC_1362.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 206
I went up at the weekend and managed to see the Shore Larks easily enough exactly where Chris said so thanks for that. Also managed the 1w Black Redstart at the Memorial Gardens on the Headland and the Penduline Tits at Saltholme. Trip write-up here if anyone's interested.

Adam

Does anyone know which area the bird is being seen in this winter? The news services say 'waste south of the Cemetary' but from what I remember there is no waste ground South of the road, only neat grass and tarmac paths and a load of bushes where I saw a dusky warbler in 2013 :)

Does anyone know which area the bird is being seen in this winter? The news services say 'waste south of the Cemetary' but from what I remember there is no waste ground South of the road, only neat grass and tarmac paths and a load of bushes where I saw a dusky warbler in 2013 :)

The services often say south when in reality it is ESE of the cemetery.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back