• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mobile phone insurance (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
mobile phone insurance help

Not really sure where to put this, but anyway:

I've recently gotten a new mobile so I can take advavtage of the web based bird information out there (rather than get a pager), and with a reasonable camera. The insurance I signed up to at the same time seems ok, but doesn't include damage from weather related things; ie it doesn't look like it would be covered if it was in my pocket and I got caught out in the field in arainstorm. I'm with Orange, and I don't think they cover weather either. Anyone use anything else which seems better? Household insurance cover it either?
I've got a couple of days before my 14 days cancellation period runs out. . .

Any ideas? Cheers, Dan

Hi Dan,
I read an article on insurances somewhere and while I don't remember much of the detail, the upshot on mobile phone insurance was basically, " Don't bother".
Like I say, I don't remember the details but I do remember that it convinced me to cancel mine. Having said that, I can get free mobile phone insurance with my Barclays bank account if I could be bothered(which I can't).
As for weather damage, I once left a Nokia 6630 out in heavy rain all day and it still worked fine after emptying the water and drying it out.
Phil

I'd agree with Phil - from what I've read about it mobile phone insurance is not worth having. Keep a note of the relevant numbers on your SIM and your phone so you can easily cancel it if it's stolen. I've never had any problems with mobile phone and weather, I always have mine with me and have never worried about the rain. I'm sure that my mobile is covered on my home insurance, but to be honest have never bothered checking... check and see if your home insurance will cover it before shelling out for specific insurance.

Paying separate insurance cover for a single item such as a mobile is a complete waste of money and a big rip-off. Any decent home/contents insurance will cover you. Yet another scam.

J

Hi, thankyou for the replies. I'll be cancelling the insurance tomorrow (save me £72 per year)!!!!
I'll have to check out the household contents situation though. I'm renting with my girlfriend and her mum (financial needs dictating!)- I think she has Nationwide insurance- (I wonder if all our possesions are covered?), as I really need to check my optics are covered too. Now I think of it I seem to remember other threads saying put the optics on household contents too.

Cheers again, Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back