• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Bald Ibis (Geronticus eremita) (1 Viewer)

Acrocephalus

Morocco
Hi,

I received this today from a mailing list; it could be of interest to someone here:

Boehm C & Bowden C G R (eds). (2010). Northern Bald Ibis Conservation and Reintroduction workshop. Proceedings of 3rd Meeting of International Advisory Group for Northern Bald Ibis (IAGNBI), Palmyra, Syria November 2009, pp.91. ISBN 978-1-905601-27-1. PDF here.

The report include, among other, lots of interesting news and stuff from:

- Souss Massa region, Morocco
- Conservation and feeding ecology of Bald Ibis in Syria
- News from Yemen and Ethiopia
- The migration of the Austrian Bald Ibises
- The “Proyecto Eremita”: the re-introduction programme in southern Spain.

regards,
Mohamed

Last edited:
Serra et al. 2011. Breeding range of the last eastern colony of Critically Endangered Northern Bald Ibis Geronticus eremita in the Syrian steppe: a threatened area. Bird Conservation International doi:10.1017/S095927091000064X
This link

Anybody knows how Spanish birds from "Proyecto Eremita" are faring? Last I heard 8 pairs were breeding in the wild in 2011.

There were certainly three pairs breeding near Vejer this year, but I too would like to know further details. Does it look likely that they might be able to maintain a self sustaining population in Spain or is it too early to tell?

I got some provisional data from Proyecto Eremita release project in S Spain. There were ca 73 individuals, nine breeding pairs and eight fledged chicks in the wild in 2011. There are 9 or 10 wild nesting pairs in 2012.

Last edited:
I got some provisional data from Proyecto Eremita release project in S Spain. There were ca 73 individuals, nine breeding pairs and eight fledged chicks in the wild in 2011. There are 9 or 10 wild nesting pairs in 2012.

Interesting since when I was out there last month the site I visited had 4 or 5breeding pairs (4 nests were obvious, but birds kept nipping into a cleft in the rock I couldn't see into). Presumably this suggests that they are establishing two different (though surely interlinked) colonies which must be a good thing. They were strutting around next to the road and very obliging, but, unfortunately, it was drizzling and the light was poor (see attached photo),

Attachments

• Bald Ibis 2 - Copy.JPG
    Bald Ibis 2 - Copy.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 331
Interesting since when I was out there last month the site I visited had 4 or 5breeding pairs (4 nests were obvious, but birds kept nipping into a cleft in the rock I couldn't see into). Presumably this suggests that they are establishing two different (though surely interlinked) colonies which must be a good thing. They were strutting around next to the road and very obliging, but, unfortunately, it was drizzling and the light was poor (see attached photo),

Hi John,

Can you see the colony from a road? The only place I've seen them is up at Montenmedio dodging golf balls! PM me if you'd rather! I'm not able to get out to Spain anytime soon, but when I do......

Good breeding season 2013 in Morocco

Report on the 2013 breeding season of Northern Bald Ibis in Souss-Massa, it's in French but English translation probably will follow. Here is the summary:

“A good breeding season during which we recorded a record number of 113 breeding pairs. These raised 148 chicks, a productivity of 1.3 chick/pair. At the end of the breeding season, the size of the population of the Bald Ibis in Souss-Massa was estimated at 443 birds distributed on different sites of the Souss-Massa National Park and Tamri”.

The report produced by Widade Oubrou & Mohammed El Bekkay (staff of the national park).

Reintroduction of Bald Ibis north of the Alps

Is the reintroduction of Northern Bald Ibis north of the Alps justified or not? Read both points of view about this question in these 2 papers published recently in Vogelwarte (PDF of the whole issue, 6.3 Mo):

Johannes, F. & Unsöld, M. 2015. Internationaler Artenschutz im Kontext der IUCN Reintroduction Guidelines: Argumente zur Wiederansiedlung des Waldrapps Geronticus eremita in Europa. Vogelwarte 53: 157-168.
(International wildlife conservation in the context of the IUCN Reintroduction Guidelines: Arguments for the reintroduction of the Northern Bald Ibis Geronticus eremita in Europe)

Landmann, A. 2015. Bestandsschutz, Bestandsstützung, Wiederansiedlung oder Auswilderung - Wie kann oder soll der Waldrapp Geronticus eremita geschützt werden? Vogelwarte 53: 169-180.
(In situ conservation, reinforcement, reintroduction or conservation introduction - How can we, how should we protect the endangered Northern Bald Ibis Geronticus eremita?)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back