• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular neck straps that go short enough to get bins close to chin? (1 Viewer)

ChurnOwl

Sorry for clumsy title heading! I have some Opticron bins and the neck straps that came with them were fine except that i can't get them short enough to have the bins as high as I'd like. I find this annoying because the bins weigh down on me more than I'd like and it becomes tiring during a long day's birding. The shortest I can get them has the top of the bins reaching the bottom of my chest. I could do with them being maybe 2 or 3 inches closer to my chin. Can anyone recommend some, that are also not too expensive? Say under £25?

ChurnOwl, cut the damn thing and melt the ends with a lighter. The weight will still be there, whether 2 inches higher or not.
Here are my favorite two straps. They are mode both by Optech, several companies sell them.They are both soft and slightly elastic, very durable. I've had one of them for 7 years and it's going strong. They feel very nice reduce fatigue.
For binocularss around the neck,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/201416-REG/OP_TECH_USA_2710252_E_Z_Comfort_Strap_Nature.html
for large and heavy binoculars bandoleer style.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/699659-REG/OP_TECH_USA_3510242_Utility_Strap_Sling_Nature.html

Last edited:
You could try double folding the strap equally on each side to gain the desired length and then fixing tightly with a couple of thin cable / zip ties on each side.

If it's tiring get fitter, it works.

Best wishes,

I have tied a loop knot in the top before. Works for very-long straps.

I make a lot of custom lengths (to replace the cracked leather straps)
for the binocs I clean up using 'findings' (the snap clasp type) and
para cord from the craft store. Double back the cord and whip 10-15 turns with
some bell-wire, coat with E6000(vinyl flexible glue) It looks pretty slick
when the coating dries. The somewhat weak snap hooks are a safety feature,
to make it break-away in an emergency

Keeping little ones up high is very handy.

I like wearing my bins high up (eyepieces slightly above my nipples), not for weight reasons but so that I can get 'em up to my eyes a couple of nanoseconds quicker than I could if they were hanging low on my rather firm abdomen, plus any females I come across can get a nice view of my six-pack when I'm walking around shirtless on a warm sunny day - if you've got it then why not flaunt it I say! ;) I cured the excess problem by a similar method as Samandag suggested only I stitched the strap in place with needle and black cotton instead of using cable ties, looks much neater IMO and more fitting with the rest of my impressive physique. |8)|

Last edited:
'Real men' don't do chest hair!.. I have it waxed on a regular basis. Tis as smooth as a baby's bottom! |:p|

Real men wear 1.5 kg binoculars around their neck, strung on a piece of narrow rough leather or rawhide.
They don't wax, they pull the hair one at a time while counting ducks. One for each duck, to keep count.

Sorry for clumsy title heading! I have some Opticron bins and the neck straps that came with them were fine except that i can't get them short enough to have the bins as high as I'd like. I find this annoying because the bins weigh down on me more than I'd like and it becomes tiring during a long day's birding. The shortest I can get them has the top of the bins reaching the bottom of my chest. I could do with them being maybe 2 or 3 inches closer to my chin. Can anyone recommend some, that are also not too expensive? Say under £25?

The Swarovski straps have a mechanism that lets you adjust the lenght of the strap without having to cut it down to size. They are a bit more expensive though.

I hadn't had mine slip yet, but I guess it's possible...
I tried 4 different ones, all annoying. I have yet to see or try a Swaro bino accessory that i liked. Except their spotting scope wrap cover.
Almost makes me ask: do those people in Tirol ever go about trying their stuff for a day or two? ever?
Ok, their most recent binoculars bag is good, too.

Thanks for replies. It's not just the weight problem. I also want them closer to my chin to make it easier to pull up to my eyes. Too many birds have escaped my sights in that split second it takes me to get the bloody bins up. I see people on nature docs and they always seem to have them really high. It seems crazy that it's so unstraightforward to achieve this.

I tried 4 different ones, all annoying. I have yet to see or try a Swaro bino accessory that i liked. Except their spotting scope wrap cover.

I think this is a problem with most binocular brands... I think either the accessories are designed by people who don't use binoculas much, or they buy their accessories from generic manufacturers who don't know much about actually bino use.

My SF carrying bag is case in point (hey, that's a pun!) ;)

I think this is a problem with most binocular brands... I think either the accessories are designed by people who don't use binoculas much, or they buy their accessories from generic manufacturers who don't know much about actually bino use.

My SF carrying bag is case in point (hey, that's a pun!) ;)

Perhaps a binocular bra is the accessory that you are reaching out for ?

In your case HN you could use it in conjunction with a rubber mat ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back