• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest of Santa Marta Sabrewing - Minca, Colombia (1 Viewer)

tomjenner

I am currently birding in Minca, Colombia, and just been shown a nest of a Santa Marta Sabrewing. It is attached to the side of the house of local tourist guide Jose Ortiz (known locally as Jungle Joe). Given the location I see no obvious risk in people visiting to see the birds, especially as the nest is best viewed from just up hill from the house. Minca is a small place, so Joe is easily found by any birders passing through on their way up to the Lodge at El Dorado.
The species is almost completely unknown, and I am interested in knowing if a nest has ever been found. I have taken measurements and some good photos have been taken, so that an official nest description can be published, if required.
If anyone has any information on whether or not the nesting is known, I would like to hear about it.

Tom

Tom

That is pretty amazing - this species is very poorly known from the northern side of the Santa Marta and people who have been many times to the area have never seen it! Do you have any pictures of the birds which you can post here?

cheers, alan

Oops, bad ID error. Local birding expert Paul Salaman visited the nest today and identified it as a White-vented Plumeleteer. Very embarrassing, and highlights the risks of trying to identify a rarity in an region where you are unfamiliar with the birds. Apologies.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back