• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wyver Lane Nature Reserve (DWT) (1 Viewer)

A quick visit yesterday. The main pool was mainly iced over. In the small ice free areas were 3 Shoveler, c20 Teal, 6 Goosander, 6 Coot and 5 Snipe. 100+ Redwing and 50 Starling in the fields.

Latest update. Feb 18th: The Barn Owl, 17 Gadwall, 12 Goosander and the pair of Stonechat.

Feb 21st: L Grebe, 59 Teal, 4 Shoveler, 8 Gadwall, 12 Tufteds, the drake Goldeneye is back unless another has turned up, 15 Goosander, 5 Buzzards, 2 Kestrel, 15 Coots, 2 Oycs, 27 Snipe, 14 Lapwing, Barn Owl, 228 BHG, ad Com Gull, pr Stonechat, 2 Raven and 3 Reed Buntings.

A few very chilly hours spent this afternoon. 14 Gadwall and 3 Shoveler on the top pool. Teal down to 32. 9 Tufteds and 10 Goosander in the roost. The drake Goldeneye still. The pair of Oycs and 16 Snipe the only waders. 2 Buzzards and 2 Kestrels.

290 BHGulls and a single Common Gull. No sign of the Barn Owl but Tawny heard. The pair of Stonechat still around the top pool. 40+ Magpies pre roost. Birds singing included Song Thrush x 2 and a Chaffinch. A Siskin over is only the second record this year.

Highlights from yesterday were 2 Cormorants, 52 Teal, 4 Shoveler, 13 Gadwall, drake Goldeneye, 8 Goosander. 16 Tufteds is the best count of the winter. 18 Coot, 2 Kestrel, Buzzard, 10+ Snipe, the 2 Oycs mating on the island, 243 BH Gulls, and the Barn Owl around the main pool from 18.05.

Gull fest

After twitching the 59 Whoopers at Carsington Chris and me went down Wyver. The pool was 95% frozen on Saturday so we were still expecting the pool to be mostly ice. We weren't wrong, the ice covered about 75% of the pool. However, on the ice and the remaining open water was numerous Gulls. We could see some large Gulls, some dark and some pale mantled. That in itself is rare for Wyver. We set our scopes up and started going through them. There were clearly some Lessers, Herring and several GBB too. The latter 2 exceptionally rare on the deck. Eventually we got 127 BHG, 10 Herring (5 adults, 4 1st winters and a 2nd winter), 7 Lessers (6 adults and a 3rd winter) and 8 GBB Gulls (6 adults & 2 1st winters). A little later 9 Common Gulls flew in making 5 species of Gull which is unheard of for Wyver. Also of interest was one of the 1st winter GBBG was ringed. With a bit of perseverance I (think) I managed to read the digits. A little investigation revealed it might be from southern Norway. I've sent an email so hope to hear back soon. As far as I can see it's the highest count of both Herring Gull and GBB Gull since 1986. And unusually for Wyver all the Gulls roosted here.

Also on site today was 4 Cormorants, 123 Canadas, 117 Greylags, 4 Wigeon, 54 Teal, 5 Shoveler, 3 Gadwall, 47 Mallard, drake Goldeneye, 7 Tufteds, 12 Goosander, 2 Oycs, 17 Lapwing, 9 Snipe, 70 Redwing, 5 Fieldfare, Raven and 5 Reed Buntings.

A bit chilly today but compared to what we've had it was almost spring like. The pair of Stonechats haven't been seen since before the bad weather so I hope they've moved on as opposed to being perished. The good news is I saw the Barn Owl hunting the old tip field. Only 7 Goosander in the roost along with 14 Tufteds. The drake Goldeneye still present.

Wigeon up to 26, 42 Teal, still 5 Shoveler and 7 Gadwall. The 2 Oycs still, 28 Lapwing and 26 Snipe. 2 Kestrels in their usual area left of the mound often perched on the brick buildings. No big gulls today but 100's feeding on fields to the north that have recently been muck spread. 2 Song Thrush and a Blackbird in song. The other highlight was 4 Raven over.

On this day: 08/03/1986 there were 4 Gadwall which at the time was a site record. How times have changed. Regularly get double figures now and has been over 20.
08/03/2017: A female Pintail. A rare duck for Wyver.
08/03/1975: 6 Jack Snipe was a site record which still stands today.

Spring was in the air yesterday with many birds singing/displaying. No Barn Owl but it was drizzling so no surprise there. On the main pool a Little Grebe, 5 Shoveler, 13 Wigeon, 7 Gadwall, 17 Tufteds, 6 Goosander and the drake Goldeneye. 34 Teal across site. 4 Buzzard up. The 2 Oycs, 23 Lapwings and at least 48 Snipe out at dusk. 165 BHG, 25 Pied Wags, c20 Fieldfare, 6 Song Thrush, 18 Blackbirds, 15 Redwing, 2 Siskin, 5 Goldcrests and 3 Reed Buntings.

On this day.
11/03/2005: there were 150 Wigeon. We can only dream of 3 figure counts now.
11/03/2013: 78 Common Gull on the main pool which is a record count.

On this day.
13/03/2015: 48 Whooper Swans flew over.
13/03/2008: 45 Tufted Duck which is very high post Carsington.
13/03/1999: 3 Ruddy Duck.
13/03/1988: 10 Kittiwake. An incredible number for Wyver and a record unlikely to be beaten.
13/03/1976: 40 Tree Sparrow. Not been recorded since 1990.

The Barn Owl showed in the old tip field at 18.22 on Sunday (11th). Wildfowl was a little disappointing with only 7 Teal and 2 Wigeon. Still 5 Shoveler though + 3 Gadwall, the drake Goldeneye, 4 Goosander and 17 Tufteds. The 2 Oycs present as ever, 5 Lapwing and numerous Snipe flying out at dusk. Not much else really but a surprise was a presumed Daubenton's Bat over the water late on.

Yesterday the 12th and it never stopped raining during my visit. And with the Derwent very high it's no surprise that Wyver was partially flooded. I could just make it to the hide but I couldn't access the mound without wellingtons. The extra water had created some smaller pools around the main pool. This created further feeding areas which attracted 45+ Snipe and 49 Teal + other dabbling ducks, Lapwings and the Oycs. 4 Mandarin flew down river, the drake Goldeneye, 4 Goosander and 17 Tufteds finished off a damp afternoon.

Barn Owl out again this evening at 18.35. 4 Cormorants in their usual trees. No Wigeon today but 53 Teal mostly feeding in the same areas as yesterday. Still 5 Shoveler and the drake Goldeneye. 12 Tufteds and 4 Goosander again and a drake Pochard was new in. c110 Greylags in near dusk. 3 Kestrel from the mound. The 2 Oycs, 17 Lapwing and 31+ Snipe. 46 BHG and a single Common Gull. Blackbird, Song Thrush and Mistle Thrush all in song. 27 Magpies in the roost, and a Raven over Wyver Woods.

Last edited:
On this day
15/03/1986: 93 Wigeon which at the time was a site record.
And on the same day Grey Partridge was heard calling. Like many places we just don't get them anymore.
15/03/2011: My personal highlight was the 5 Avocets.

Latest highlights for 14/03 include 96 Greylags, 4 Cormorants, 5 Shoveler, 6 Gadwall, 47 Teal, 19 Tufteds (best of the winter), drake Pochard and Goldeneye still. 23 Coot (best of the winter), 3 Buzzard, 2 Oycs, c450 BHG, 32 Com Gulls, 14 LBBGull, 27 Pied Wags and 2 Raven.

A few decent bits yesterday. Little Grebe, 115 Greylags. After only getting a couple of Wigeon the past week yesterday afternoon 42 dropped in which is also the best of the winter beating 26. 5 Shoveler still + 7 Gadwall, 43 Teal, 41 Mallard, 17 Tufteds, 4 Goosander, and the drake Pochard and Goldeneye. 2 Water Rail squealing in the upper marsh. The 2 Oycs were joined by a 3rd which was seen off aggressively. 51 Snipe all visible from the mound feeding in the marshy area between the 2 pools. A Curlew flew around for a few minutes before departing which was new for the year. 6 Buzzards up. Lots of Gulls! Over a 1000 Black heads, 36 Commons and 15 Lessers. 5 Meadow Pipits feeding in field with 15 Pied Wags, 4 Stock Doves, 50 Fieldfare, 70 Redwing, 3 Mistle Thrush including 1 with nesting material, 3 Song Thrush, 2 Great Spots with one drumming, 2 Raven and a Siskin.
The Barn Owl was out at 18.19 over the old tip field and at 18.26 2 were seen together around the same area.

Nothing that different from yesterday really. Little Grebe, 110 Greylags, Wigeon down to 31, 6 Gadwall, 5 Shoveler, 51 Teal, 17 Tufteds, 5 Goosander, and the drake Pochard and Goldeneye still. The 2 Oycs, 14 Lapwing, and 2 Curlew through. c1000 BHGulls again, 27 Commons, 1st winter Herring and a Lesser. No Barn Owls but a Tawny heard. 32 Pied Wags down the lane with a single Meadow Pipit. 2 Raven again. No spring migrants yet but with the weekend weather in store that's probably a good thing.

A few bits yesterday in near Baltic conditions. 25 Wigeon, 54 Teal, 2 Shelduck (first of the year), 4 Shoveler, 15 Goosander, Pochard, Goldeneye, 11 Tufteds. The 2 Oycs, 18 Lapwing, and 54 Snipe feeding out in the open around the main pool. 350 BHG and 8 Common Gulls. The Barn Owl was around the main pool. With all the snow and ice feeding areas were at a premium. In the field behind the hide the bottom of the field was slowly thawing and thrushes were taking advantage. There was an unusual sight of 9 Song Thrush feeding together. I don't think I've ever seen that many together. It's the second highest count for Wyver. There was also 7 Reed Buntings at the mound feeding station.

Today it was still bitterly cold though not as harsh as yesterday. The highlights were the first Chiffchaff of the year down the lane. It looked proper fed up. It just sat there calling away for ages. Wildfowl spread around the reserve include 19 Wigeon, 62 Teal, 5 Shoveler, 7 Gadwall, Goldeneye, Pochard, 10 Tufteds and 3 Goosander. No sign of yesterday's Shelduck. 4 Buzzards up. The 2 Oycs along with 24 Lapwing and 15 Snipe. 350 BHG again and an impressive 55 Common Gulls on the main pool. Still at least 6 Song Thrush, + 2 Mistle Thrush. Still 5+ Reed Buntings at the mound feeding station.

A Skylark over yesterday was new for the year and takes the year list up to 80. 2 Little Grebe on the top pool. Encouraging seeing 2 together. Let's hope they hang around. The last definite confirmed breeding was way back in 1991. 2 Mute Swans flew in later in the day. Possibly the pair from the River Gardens. Wigeon up to 42 again. Pair of Mandarin, 4 Shoveler, 8 Gadwall, 47 Teal, Pochard, Goldeneye, 15 Tufteds and 8 Goosander. 16 Coot including a pair mating, Water Rail heard top marsh area. The 2 Oycs, 5 Lapwing and numerous Snipe. 3 Buzzards, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and Peregrine all seen.
Barn Owl around the tip field from 18.38. 2 Redpoll over + Siskin, 2 Raven and 6 Reed Buntings.

A Pink footed Goose with 47 Greylags yesterday. 2 Little Grebes again. 37 Wigeon, 5 Gadwall, 37 Teal, 3 Shoveler, Goldeneye, Pochard, 19 Tufteds and 7 Goosander. 3 Buzzards up. The 2 Oycs + 24 Snipe. 110 BHG. 29 Redwing in the horse field. 15 Fieldfare north. 2 Raven, and the first singing Reed Bunting of the spring. I didn't see any Barn Owls but another birder had 2.

Latest highlights. 23/03: Barn Owl, 8 Gadwall, Goldeneye, Pochard, 6 Goosander, 7 Buzzard, 2 Kestrel, 2 Oycs, 29 Snipe, 5 Common Gull, 2 Raven and 2 Reed Bunting.

25/03: I'll start with the obvious stand out bird(s). At around 18.25 as I was walking towards the hide, Chris who was still standing by the gate frantically called be back. I hot tailed it back to see 2 stunning adult Med Gulls dropping in. Absolute beauties!! Dan who had been present but left moments before their arrival turned back to see them as they flew off. They couldn't have been on site for no more than 3 or 4 minutes. Although I haven't processed all Med Gull records into the database yet it looks like the first ever Wyver record of more than 1 at any time. And it's the first adult record since 2005 when an adult stayed for 6 days.

Not much else yesterday but it's clear that wildfowl numbers are starting to dwindle. The male Goldeneye still present but the Pochard has moved on. Teal are only just in double figures and Wigeon down to single figures. 16 Tufteds and 4 Goosander in the roost. 8 Gadwall, 2 Little Grebe, 2 Oycs, 18 Snipe and 2 Barn Owls. It looks like one of the Owls is roosting in the box in the ash tree visible from the hide. And the other at the NW edge of the old tip field in the box there in the large oak.

Today: The first singing Chiffchaff of the year by the signals. 2 Little Grebe still. The PFGoose with Greylags near the hide. 2 Shelduck, 6 Gadwall, 5 Wigeon, 13 Teal, the Goldeneye. 2 Oycs, 15 Snipe and 6 Lapwing. 6 Buzzards up + Kes and Sprawk. 150 BHG, 3 Com Gulls and 3 Lessers. 4 Stock Doves and 2 Ravens.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back