• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about bluetits flying the nest (1 Viewer)

GrahamR

Hi everyone,

As some of you already know we have a pair of bluetits nesting in a hole in our house wall.

My question is; the hole in which they are nesting is quite high up. When the chicks are ready to fly the nest can they already fly and have a nice soft landing, or do they just drop to the ground? It may sound a dumb question but if it is the latter then they dont stand much of a chance of surviving.

Also, how many days is there usually between hatching and flying the nest?

P.S. Another dumb question :smoke: how do i get to my profile page so i can put a signature in?

Graham

GrahamR said:
Hi everyone,

As some of you already know we have a pair of bluetits nesting in a hole in our house wall.

My question is; the hole in which they are nesting is quite high up. When the chicks are ready to fly the nest can they already fly and have a nice soft landing, or do they just drop to the ground? It may sound a dumb question but if it is the latter then they dont stand much of a chance of surviving.

Also, how many days is there usually between hatching and flying the nest?

P.S. Another dumb question :smoke: how do i get to my profile page so i can put a signature in?

Graham

The first year we had a camera in a box, they all flew within 30 minutes, starting around 5pm - we were at first watching on the TV, and could see the box at the bottom of our small garden. There was a gap of about 20 minutes before the last two went - I was actually near the box when one of these went out, and it flew quite close to me before landing on a nearby branch - I had gone out to replenish the mealworm feeder. (They all flew into the nearby bushes and trees after they made their exit).

I have been looking at our summaries for the last 3 years, but it is impossible to arrive at a definite figure. The eggs did not all hatch on the same day - nor did the chicks always fledge on the same day. I decided that 19 or 20 days was the most likely - but having seen today that some of the chicks are flapping their wings very vigorously, and are looking well developed, I think they will probably go before the Tuesday or Wednesday my figures imply.

I'll leave your final question for someone else to answer - it's getting late, and it would take me a little while to remember how to do it! :eek!: :eek!:

Last edited:
I know this is old, but we had Blue Tits nesting under our gutter in a House martin nest box! All chicks fledged and come to the feeders (front and back) every day.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back