• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwing in Netherton, West Mids (1 Viewer)

andythomas

Hi everyone,

I can confirm that the single (male?) Waxwing in Netherton, West Midlands is there again this morning (Saturday) for its sixth day. It's perched on TV aerials opposite Kwik Save supermarket at the junction of Saltwells Road and Cradley Road.

--
Andy Thomas
West Midland Birding
http://www.thomas1976.freeserve.co.uk/

Welcome Andy

Nice to see another neighbour as I live in Birmingham. I haven't been to see this Waxwing as I had a few at kidderminster a couple of weeks ago but if my memory serves me right wasn't there a couple of Waxwings in the same place in January 2000?

BTW your website is an excellent addition to this forum. Any one wishing to visit this area would benefit from browsing through your pages.

I think that you will enjoy being in this forum as everyone is very friendly. Anything you are not sure feel free to ask and there will always be someone there to give an answer.

BTW have you read the Slimbash thread. Quite a few of us are meeting at Slimbridge on Feb 9th. Might be a good time to meet a few of us.

Hi John

Thanks for the welcome and the kind remarks about my website.

You are correct that there were two Waxwings at the same site on January 2nd and 3rd 2000, although I didn't see them myself. This raises the possibility that this year's bird is one of the original birds - why else would he be at that precise spot when there are so many other berry trees and bushes to choose from.
From looking at its plumage I'm certain it is an adult male.

I actually went up to Branston in Staffordshire last Saturday to see a flock of 15 Waxwings, little knowing that one was going to turn up less than a mile from my house two days later.

I'll be visiting Slimbridge on February 2nd. If I get time I'll post a short trip report so that you'll have some idea what birds are about.

Welcome aboard Andy. I've been perusing your site for some time now and it's good to have you with us! Hope you enjoy the site. There are now quite a few of us from the West Mids and Black Country as members now, so we will really need to get together sometime!

Look forward to your report on Slimbridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back