• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My RSPB Group visiting the Outer Hebrides in 2018 (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

My RSPB Group from Newcastle Upon Tyne are hoping to have there annual weekly birdwatching holiday in the Outer Hebrides in 2018. I’ll hear for certain if my RSPB Group will be visiting there next year by this November. Hoping to see the Corncrake. I know the Corncrake can be a very elusive bird, but hopefully my RSPB Group might have some luck.
Ian.

Good question, Gander. You have far and away the best chance shortly after they arrive, and before the vegetation grows too tall to hide them. And I've found them readily visible, for some reason, right by the Visitor Centre at Balranald.

We've been in May and they can be heard everywhere. I nearly ran over one coming out of Balranald reserve. Also loads of cuckoos.

Unfortunately the Bird Watching holiday with my RSPB Group has had to be postponed until 2019 as the Group couldn’t get booked in 2018 due to lack of hotels in the Outer Hebrides. But the Hotel is booked up for 2 years time. Difficult to get excited about 2 years ahead, but we are booked up for Southern England in 2018 with trip to areas such as Arne, Radipole Lake, New Forest etc. I’m posting my deposit for that in Southern England on Saturday morning.
Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back