• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying advice; camera and lens (1 Viewer)

greendoom

Good morning
I do birdwatching without photographing but next year I want to try this experience too.
My budget is 2,000E.
I thought about canon 77D (600E) and canon EF 400mm f / 5.6 (1200E) ..
I want to use them in open areas, meadows ... maybe for flying birds.
if you have another better option in this budget I would be grateful to you,
thank you!

I would get the Nikon D7200 and a Tamron G2 150-600 and put it on a Black Rapid sling or similar, add a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s in 32GB or 64GB memory card, and go and have lots of fun taking photos of birds :t:

Chosun :gh:

thank you, I'll take your advice into consideration and look for information about this kit.
I'm waiting for other suggestions, if anyone is willing to help me with advice.

I would get the Nikon D7200 and a Tamron G2 150-600 and put it on a Black Rapid sling or similar, add a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s in 32GB or 64GB memory card, and go and have lots of fun taking photos of birds :t:
That's a weight of 2.7kg, right? The OP's original idea (400mm) might be easier to handle, in particular for birds in flight.

Like your style Chosun, jumping in with a Nikon on the Canon feed.

Incidentally, how does the Tamron G2 150-600 rate against the Nikon 200-500 ? on a D7100.

Cheers,
George

I was thinking of 7d mk2 but that would mean waiting for a while to raise the necessary money.
I think I will opt for 70D and 400mm, I will read more on this day but in principle I think it's ok for the beginning :).
Can you use a converter for this kit?

That's a weight of 2.7kg, right? The OP's original idea (400mm) might be easier to handle, in particular for birds in flight.

He could get the D7200 with the sigma 100-400mm which is a lot lighter.The new 100-400 is a cracking little lens and capable of great results.

Incidentally, how does the Tamron G2 150-600 rate against the Nikon 200-500 ? on a D7100.

Cheers,
George
Sometimes you just have to jump in when you know someone is missing out on a good thing.
I've never used the tammy but i have a D7200 with the 200-500mm lens and it delivers great results.My wife uses a D7200 with sigmas compact 100-400mm lens and this again delivers great results.
I don't think the D7200 can be beaten at this price point.

I was thinking of 7d mk2 but that would mean waiting for a while to raise the necessary money.
I think I will opt for 70D and 400mm, I will read more on this day but in principle I think it's ok for the beginning :).

I don't know as I shoot with Sony A77ii and Sony 70-400 G2 and Mk1 Tamron 150-600. No doubt one of the Canon shooters can tell you.

Cheers,
George
Sometimes you just have to jump in when you know someone is missing out on a good thing.
I've never used the tammy but i have a D7200 with the 200-500mm lens and it delivers great results.My wife uses a D7200 with sigmas compact 100-400mm lens and this again delivers great results.
I don't think the D7200 can be beaten at this price point.

The OP did ask if there was a better option for the budget .... :)

My suggestion was ~75% of the budget.

As Neil said, I don't think the Nikon D7200 sensor can be beaten.

I haven't trialed the Nikon 200 - 500 against the Tamron 150 - 600 directly, but from what I've read of those that have, and have tested them individually, it seems there is not much in it. Unit to unit variability may well account for any differences. I would say ....
Very Slight optical edge to the Niki 200 - 500 ....
Slight versatility and lighter weight edge to the Tammy 150 - 600

Check out Neil G's gallery to see the superb results attainable.

You could even check out my gallery - shots of birds with the Tammy rig ..... I think the Eastern Yellow Robin is best, and displays what is possible with this rig. Note this was in quite low light at 1/400th of a second with the D7100 (D7200 is incrementally better) , and with no processing to speak of.

For the OP, I think it comes down to how much weight they want to carry and what they will be shooting and at what distances .....
Less weight ~ 1.8kg (4lb) choose the Canon EOS 77D and EF400 f5.6
Better image quality, but a bit more weight (though easily manageable, and easily carried on a sling) ~ 2.7kg (6lb) choose the Nikon D7200 and Tamron G2 150 - 600 f6.3
Best image quality, and slightly heavier ~ 3kg (6&1/2lb) choose the Nikon D7200 and 200 - 500 f5.6

Note - in response to Herman's point about handling for BIF .... the zoom lenses allow you to start wide for easier framing and then zoom in - I do that sometimes, and you get good at following even at 600mm - it's a pretty well balanced system. Also, the Nikon D7200 allows you to shoot in 1.3x crop mode for roughly 2x magnification all up and 7fps. Shooting at ~1150mm (35mm equivalent) is pretty addictive ! :D

Last edited:
Sorry Chosun,i've scrubbed my gallery ready for my new year gallery.I can still post the same photos if anyone wants to see any for comparisons etc.

Neil doesn't appear to have a gallery!
Chosun, you don't appear to have many birds in yours either.
I've got a rather lot of images to process (only using NX2) and no time for a while to really do it. I've mostly settled on using 1/2000th second or more shutter speed now and let the ISO take care of itself. Some shots to come are better than what's in there, but mostly on static subjects at close range when the planets align with hand held shooting.

Your gallery looks great Dave.

Perhaps Neil would post some of his fine images here taken with the Nikon D7200 + 200-500. I found them to have great IQ - awesome for the money :t:

I agree with the proposal of a 7D2 and either 400 f5.6 or 100-400.

I had a 70D with a 400mm and in the end upgraded to the 7D2 and so 'wasted' both time and money in the process, if you follow.
You cannot use a converter and keep AF with the 70D but you can with 7D2.

Hang on and get the 7D2 - they are often available second-hand from reputable outlets for the same as a new 70D.

Mick

I'm glad I received so many tips from you, on this occasion I thank you and wish you a happy new year with as many ornithological observations.
finally I think I will make an effort, I will wait 1-2 month and I will buy 7d2 + 400mm f5.6, meanwhile can find a 7d2 used but in good condition, otherwise I waited so .. wait a little :)
Happy New Year!

Thanks for the kind comments re my gallery, I must admit I haven't put anything on for quite some time.

Re the purchase of a camera and lens I guess if I was starting afresh I would love to have a Nikon D500. I actually started with a D300s and a 80-400 Mk1 and it was OK but the lens was very slow to focus and one to avoid for birding.
I am now unfamiliar with Nikon's gear as I moved over to Canon many years ago now.

From a Canon perspective you can indeed get a low shutter count 7D2 and a 400f5.6 well within the 2000E budget. The lens is available here on BF for £650. I sold my 7d2 with around 18000 clicks for a not dissimilar figure.
That would leave 500E spare to buy a spare battery and some memory cards and other bits and pieces.

The most critical advice though is always invest in glass rather than a camera body as the technology in bodies is old as soon as it's released whereas the glass will hold value for many years more.
The other advice I would give is plan ahead. Don't buy a bag that fits what you have now, buy one that will fit what you plan ahead for, likewise tripods, heads etc etc.Saves you having to start all over again.

I'm glad I received so many tips from you, on this occasion I thank you and wish you a happy new year with as many ornithological observations.
finally I think I will make an effort, I will wait 1-2 month and I will buy 7d2 + 400mm f5.6, meanwhile can find a 7d2 used but in good condition, otherwise I waited so .. wait a little :)
Happy New Year!

You must have posted this while I was writing my comments!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back