• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Entering into the last four days of May and the monthly list is a very disappointing 92, fuelled by a very disheartening lack of wader / tern / chat passage plus the absence of a number of scarce residents. Missing in action include:

Pochard, Little Egret, Osprey, Red Kite, Marsh Harrier, Sanderling, Ruff, Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Turnstone, Curlew, Bar-tailed Godwit, Greenshank, Common Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Sandwich Tern, Barn Owl, Little Owl, Tawny Owl, Whinchat, Redstart, Grasshopper Warbler, Coal Tit, Spotted Flycatcher, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Yellowhammer

Red-necked Phal at Slimbridge this morning. Think this is the first record this spring from the western side of the country so be alert Upton watchers :t:

Spent three hours at The Flashes this morning and saw 26 different species.
I missed the shoveller family, but the eight shelduck ducklings are developing really well - they are now feeding like the adults rather than having to dive completely underwater like they were a few days ago, making them easier to count. Both parents are looking after the young.
I counted approximately 28 adult avocets, which are continuing to chase off anything in their paths. The young were into double figures, but are much more difficult to count. The young are also of varying sizes and ages.
One lapwing is continuing to brood four eggs, but she has been wandering off the nest frequently.
I saw two young lapwing near the bank to the right of the hide (had counted at least three in the same brood the other day). Spotted another tiny young lapwing on the far side, a long way from its parent. Most encouraging were two lapwing chicks near their parent to the right of the reeds, the biggest I've seen yet.
The two black tailed godwits were still present.
Other species included oystercatcher, buzzard, goldfinch,linnet and a flock of about 14 greylag geese in the field on the far side. The little ringed plover is still sitting on its nest in the cage.
Finally, David Shapley reported seeing a red kite over the sailing pool.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Janette - I wonder if the two Lapwing young right of the reeds is the re-emergence of the first brood that John had south of the second Flash. Certainly the adults appeared to be defending the area around the third Flash over the last week.

Spent three hours at The Flashes this morning and saw 26 different species.
I missed the shoveller family, but the eight shelduck ducklings are developing really well - they are now feeding like the adults rather than having to dive completely underwater like they were a few days ago, making them easier to count. Both parents are looking after the young.
I counted approximately 28 adult avocets, which are continuing to chase off anything in their paths. The young were into double figures, but are much more difficult to count. The young are also of varying sizes and ages.
One lapwing is continuing to brood four eggs, but she has been wandering off the nest frequently.
I saw two young lapwing near the bank to the right of the hide (had counted at least three in the same brood the other day). Spotted another tiny young lapwing on the far side, a long way from its parent. Most encouraging were two lapwing chicks near their parent to the right of the reeds, the biggest I've seen yet.
The two black tailed godwits were still present.
Other species included oystercatcher, buzzard, goldfinch,linnet and a flock of about 14 greylag geese in the field on the far side. The little ringed plover is still sitting on its nest in the cage.
Finally, David Shapley reported seeing a red kite over the sailing pool.

Nice one Janette
That sounds like the larger lapwings from 2 weeks ago. Phil and myself suspected that the adult lapwing were acting like they were protecting young ie chasing away corvids etc. This was in front of the oak tree so maybe there is suitable habitat behind the reeds. Hopefully Mike will give us a run down on the chick situation later .
B :)john

Little ringed plovers

Hi Pete
There were definitely more LRPs about than just the one sitting in the cage but I didn't do a count. That's something else to look out for next time! All I can add is that the other LRPs I saw were moving about, not sitting.
Also, there was so much to watch at the Flashes today that there was no time to visit the Moors as well so I'm relying on the forum for updates!

QUOTE=PeterE;3224694]Has anyone seen the other LRP that has been sitting to the left of the small cage?

Peter[/QUOTE]

Thinking about popping over tomorrow weather permitting, are the paths fairly even as I have bad legs?.
Thanks Andy,

The moors path to the 2 western hides (path opp car park) is very good, the others not so good if you have trouble walking but there is plenty to see anyway from that side. There is also a class at the flashes so unless your an early morning riser, then the main flashes hide will be out of bounds for a good chunk of the day.

The moors path to the 2 western hides (path opp car park) is very good, the others not so good if you have trouble walking but there is plenty to see anyway from that side. There is also a class at the flashes so unless your an early morning riser, then the main flashes hide will be out of bounds for a good chunk of the day.

Just to clarify the above, as per Roger's earlier post the workshop on Saturday will be using the Jacobs (West) Hide at the Moors from approx 12:00 to 1:30 and then the Avocet (main) Hide at the Flashes from 2:00 to 4:00. The hides will not be out of bounds during these times but visitors should appreciate that they will be busy and perhaps a little noisier than usual as Roger and helpers give a running commentary and assist with identifications.

A brief résumé of yesterday's evening visit:
Moors Pool - Oystercatcher pair plus one chick, Lapwing 3-4 adults and one chick seen. Three Common Terns (possibly four) sitting on the rafts, accompanied in two cases by BHGs. Little else other than c.100 Swifts.
Flashes - Avocets, adults uncounted and all chicks seemed present and correct. Lapwings 6-7 adults, no chicks noted in sewage meadow, two to right of hide and four newly hatched in front. No sign of any large chicks by third flash. LRP - at least four adults with two sitting. Shelduck - two pairs plus the eight ducklings. Shoveler- pair plus only four or five ducklings though the remainder may have been out of sight. Both Blackwits still present and I managed my first Cuckoo of the year!

Just to clarify the above, as per Roger's earlier post the workshop on Saturday will be using the Jacobs (West) Hide at the Moors from approx 12:00 to 1:30 and then the Avocet (main) Hide at the Flashes from 2:00 to 4:00. The hides will not be out of bounds during these times but visitors should appreciate that they will be busy and perhaps a little noisier than usual as Roger and helpers give a running commentary and assist with identifications.

Thanks Phil, nicely put!

We anticipate 15 participants and given that they've paid for the course it's helpful if they can get a seat and a view, however if there is anybody passing through it's always good if they can help to encourage the learners to show how friendly the U/W regulars are! We certainly haven't asked for sole occupancy.

I remember John gave his own version of the course to one lost participant the year before last. (if you do find any wanderers they've been given directions to the British Legion in Wychbold and a Trust mobile number!)

Roger

Thanks Phil, nicely put!

We anticipate 15 participants and given that they've paid for the course it's helpful if they can get a seat and a view, however if there is anybody passing through it's always good if they can help to encourage the learners to show how friendly the U/W regulars are! We certainly haven't asked for sole occupancy.

I remember John gave his own version of the course to one lost participant the year before last. (if you do find any wanderers they've been given directions to the British Legion in Wychbold and a Trust mobile number!)

Roger

Sorry I won't be around tomorrow Roger I'm in Suffolk, but I am sure the Girls and Boys of upton will make them welcome..weather looks good for you and hopefully the birds will perform for you B :)John.

Group visits over the next few weeks

Mon 1st June Ian Butler, photographers – 6 people – unsure of arrival time
Tues 2nd June Cameraderie – 12 to 15 people (evening visit after 5pm)
Thu June 18 Arrow Valley Group 1.30pm
Sat July 11 Army Ornithological group (6 – 8 people)
Thu Aug 13 WWT childrens group TBC

Would anyone like to guide the Arrow Valley Group? Mary is keen to have a short tour.

Friday 29th May 1300-1700

The honeypot was buzzing with chicks this afternoon; sadly the late spring wader passage through the West Midlands today (including Dunlin, Ringed Plover and Sanderling - 6 @ Belvide, 6 @ Middleton and even 2 @ Bartley FFS!) yet again managed to avoid Upton.

NORTH MOORS
1 Shoveler (male), 2 Coot, 6 Tufted Duck, Cetti's Warbler

MOORS POOL
1 Snipe (Amy's Marsh), 2 Oystercatcher + 1 chick (the pair on the Broadmeadow appear to have abandoned), 2 Lapwing + 1 chick (may potentially have been more hidden in Amy's Marsh), 1 Cormorant, 1 Mute Swan, 10 Canada Geese, 1 Shelduck, 58 Tufted Duck, 4 Little Grebe, 2 GC Grebe + 1 young, 31 Coot, 6 Common Tern, Mediterranean Gull (second summer), 1 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull (took and ate a BHG chick), Cetti's Warbler, c125 Swift

MOORS POOL
2 Mute Swan, 2 Tufted Duck, 3 Coot, 1 GC Grebe + 1 young in NW corner (larger than the chick at the Moors Pool)

FLASHES

2 Black-tailed Godwit still (although the duller bird appeared to disappear late afternoon), 32 adult Avocet + 23 young still - many of the non breeding birds formed a tight knot feeding and roosting together, 2 Oystercatcher, 4 LR Plover, 8 adult Lapwing + 7 young (3 immediately in front of the hide, 2 to the right of the hide in the delta, 2 in the sewage meadow, none around the third Flash), 6 Shelduck + 8 young, 4 Shoveler (pairs on first and third Flashes) + only 3 young in latter location, 22 Tufted Duck, c20 Coot, 6 Canada Geese, 16 Greylag Geese over, Grey Heron over (the guilty party for the Shoveler disappearance?), Cuckoo, Hobby, Sparrowhawk, 3 Stock Dove, 2 LBB Gull, Roe Deer

Last edited:
Avocet chick distribution today was as described in post #27949 with the exception that the single chick from Brood J has come off the far shore (where feeding conditions were poor) and relocated to the end of the peninsular.

Worth having a look at Brood F (on the beach in front of the third Flash) and compare the size of the two normally developed chicks with little "runty" which is so small it appears to have come from a brood some 10-14 days younger! :eek!:

Last edited:
Re the Broadmeadow Oystercatchers - on Thursday an adult flew to the east shore of B'meadow Pool but didn't reappear. Odd place for an Oyk to go given the vegetation there... unless there was a chick to feed? Also on the chick front the four Greylag goslings were on the Sailing Pool.

Re the Broadmeadow Oystercatchers - on Thursday an adult flew to the east shore of B'meadow Pool but didn't reappear. Odd place for an Oyk to go given the vegetation there... unless there was a chick to feed? Also on the chick front the four Greylag goslings were on the Sailing Pool.

Are you feeling OK Mike to be up at this time?! 8-P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back