• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange-tailed tyrant and streamer-tailed tyrant in Argentina (1 Viewer)

Jared W

Hi all,
I spent a month in Argentina at Christmas just gone. Whilst it was not a pure birding trip, I did get lots of information on birding sites to make the most of our time there. One of the species that I did really want to see out there was Strange-tailed Tyrant, but I did not find any trip reports that mentioned the species. However, whilst at Esteros del Ibera, we did see both this species and also Streamer-tailed Tyrant and I just wanted to let folk visiting Argentina know that these species were possible, and could be seen during a trip to Ibera.

Strange-tailed Tyrant are present in the tall grassland along the road from Mercedes when you get within 25 km of Pellegrini, with 12 males seen in the final 20 km before arriving in Pellegrini during our stay in late December. These birds were seen whilst we were belting along at 50km/ hr, so there will have been more no doubt. This road requires 4x4, but is not particularly tricky- unless recent rain. If you don't want to stay in Pellegrini, you could easily day-trip the Strange-tailed Tyrants from Mercedes.

Streamer-tailed Tyrant were seen in the grounds of La Posada de La Laguna (where we were staying) on just one morning. Apparently they are not commonly seen at Pellegrini, but are regularly found a short drive away. The owners of La Posada de La Laguna know the regular sites for Streamer-tailed Tyrant.

The Posada itself is a fantastic spot to base yourself as you get superb views out over the marshes with some great birding in the garden itself- although the Giant Wood Rails and Southern Screamers can be a bit noisy. The woodland just out of the town holds Yellow Cardinal, etc.

Cheers

jared

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back