• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallows Nest - utility room build (1 Viewer)

Sparky32

Hi,

I'm new to all this so apologies for my lack of bird knowledge! Also, apologies for the long-winded tale below but I really appreciate any advice!

I have planning permission to build a small utility room onto my ground floor flat (to allow space for a washing machine). My building warrant is valid until December this year but planning permission expires on 26th August (next month!) so time is running out.

The reason for the delay in building the utility room is due to problems with tranferring the shared title to the area of ground to me. The owners of the other 2 flats have no objections in principle to me obtaining sole title to the area of ground, but one of the owners' mortgage company will not consent without a survey being carried out. And the owner does not want a survery to be done in case it negatively affects his property value/increases mortgage payments.

After much consideration, I decided to go ahead with the build and obtain a legal agreement from the owner saying he will transfer his share of the title if and when he sells his property. The other owner has already signed over his share of the land to me.

I planned to carry out the work at the beginning of August. However I came back from holiday at the end of May to discover swallows building a nest in the space where the build is planned!

I have read the advice on RSBP website regarding swallows nests and I understand that I can't disturb the nest while it is being built or used. I also know that the swallows may not leave the nest until Sept/Oct?

Can I begin work around the nest, so that I can preserve the planning permission? I believe that once the work has begun, then that is enough for the planning permission to be preserved without time limits? For example, can I prepare the ground of the utility room or work around the nest? It may be quite disruptive and noisy though.

Thank you for reading this post if you have got this far!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back