• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mystery falcon (1 Viewer)

I'm wondering if people have suspected it could be a Lesser Kestrel (an immature male) and I think this is possible but others will have more expertise on this.

Hi folks

it looks a bit like an Australian Kestrel if memory serves me right - not a species I have much experience with though, only a few individuals in 2000 but it does ring a bell.......

need to check the books

I don't think Lesser Kestrel - I can't find anything to suggest they ever have such a heavy black moustachial streak, nor the white spot behind the eye. Neither are the claws black, as they should be on Lesser. Rather hefty legs and big prey for a Lesser Kestrel, too, they're not far short of exclusively insectivorous.

Maybe a leucistic Common Kestrel, or perhaps some sort of falconer's hybrid?

Michael

Edit added . . . Hi Charles, adult male Lesser Kestrel would also have obvious slate-blue secondaries, this doesn't

Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
Hi folks

it looks a bit like an Australian Kestrel if memory serves me right - not a species I have much experience with though, only a few individuals in 2000 but it does ring a bell.......

need to check the books
Hi Tim,

Good call - it matches the Aussie Kestrel pic in Lynx HBW very well
That's Falco cenchroides, if anyone wants the Latin name.

Michael

but no blue secs or covs Charles, can't be lesser?
weird white spot asnd strong moustachal
spotting above is non existant
not at all obvious below either
not quite like Aussie but close - has white bit near eye, strongish moustachial and black markings to tips of some covs
near an airport too!
so dodgy hybrid anyone ;)

Probably an imm kestrel (2nd y?) with a moustache as broad as this bird, this is normally absent in lesser, doesnt look quite right even for kestrel though,that is one hell of a moustache!! claws look dark to my eyes which would also rule out lesser, the whole jizz of the bird looks wrong, shaped almost like a large falcon (lanner?) although im not used to seeing them on birdtables, maybe its some sort of weird falconers hybrid lannerXkestrel maybe

I'd go for the Hybrid theory. As it's on a bird table suggests it's an escaped bird?
I think falconers have managed to hybridize just about every falcon there is, there's plenty of weird looking birds out there. Though admit it does look good for Australian.

JP

Sorry, I failed to notice any but the first photo!

The picture in Morcombe is the only one I have of Nankeen (Australian) Kestrel, and it's awful (or at least it doesn't look like this bird at all, very pale-headed-- vast expanse of cere and eye-ring matches though).

What is that grey bit between the greater coverts and the secondaries, anyway?

How much do you think the tail extends beyond primary tips? Lanner-length? Kestrel-length? In-between?

I knew what he meant! It doesn't really look like a Lesser, apart from the lack of spots A shot of the spread tail would help.....

Fifebirder said:
Hi Michael,

In the Collins it suggests Lesser Kestrel should have pale claws. You've got me confused now!
Yep, minor brainstorm on my part :-C Sorry!

Spar said:
a Kestrel?(they are pretty usless in falconry terms)
Agreed - you take your trusty bird out hunting, off it flies, . . . . . stoops, . . . . and brings back a ground-beetle. Wonderful! :king:

Certainly doesnt look like any kestrel ive ever seen!!
just because it isnt ringed doesnt mean it hasnt escaped,do they have the same standards in eastern europe, often these birds are bred just to see if it can be done,not for any other purpose..the fact its probably totally useless for falconry purposes probably doesnt matter a jot, could just be an aberrant kestrel, im sure they do exist!!

For all interested in this tricky falcon:
it has been suggested by someone that it is Lanner x Kestrel hybrid (from Polish Ornithological email list PTAKI) as such cases happen in falconry from time to time.

Marcin Filipek
Poland

I would go with the hybrid theory on this one but I also woner if we could be looking at a leucistic bird. I would have expected a little more departure from the normal kestrel type if this was a lanner x and the only thing that would make sense would be a common x lesser kestrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back