• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who's this gull with the orange legs? (1 Viewer)

mipettin

-
Hi

Was looking at past photos and this one caught the eye. I think they are all Black Headed Gulls but there is an odd one out with orange legs! For peace of mind would appreciate an ID from the community.

Cheers

Martin
-

Attachments

• Who's the guy with the orange socks.jpg
    Who's the guy with the orange socks.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 370
Hi Martin,

I believe they are all BH Gulls. The one with the orange legs looks like a first winter bird, notice the "browny" feathers in the wing. (and the paler bill &, of course, the leg colour! ;) )
Also, notice that the white "leading edge" of the wing doesn't reach all the way to the wing tip (as it does on the birds either side)

Now someone's gonna shoot me down in flames, but what the hey! ;)

Last edited:
CJW said:
Not me Simon, you're spot on.

YAY!!!!! :bounce:

The weeks of lunchtimes spent scrutinising the gulls at my local boating lake (in the vain hope of finding a Med. or ring-billed among the BH & Common! ;) ) seems to have paid off.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back