• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lark (1 Viewer)

rafo1

Another one that I'm not sure of before I put them in the gallery. Taken at Tawi Atayr South Oman, I think its a Singing Bush Lark (Mirafra Cantillans) but it doesn't really do my bird guide any justice, or is that the other way around.
Colin :cool:

Attachments

• Lark 1 (singing bush).jpg
    Lark 1 (singing bush).jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Lark 2 (singing bush).jpg
    Lark 2 (singing bush).jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Lark 3 (singing bush).jpg
    Lark 3 (singing bush).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 194
I would say Singing Bush Lark, but I've never been to Oman and have no idea what other larks are on offer there. Presumably there is no Lesser Short-toed, Bimaculated or anything else 'colourful' with a chunky-ish bill. If you see what I mean. Is it a summer visitor or resident? And, if I remember, don't SBLs do a mini-Skylark song flight?

Colin,

It certainly looks like Mirafra. Save possible accidentals from the genus, the only one I have ranging there is Mirafra cantillans simplex. I have gone into my database and compared them with my pics for the species, but I only have pics of the nominate subspecies which differs in having the primaries of a slightly more rufous color. Comparing the two, other than this, though I wish I had a frontal shot showing the chin and breast-streaking, they appear to be identical in every parameter that I can analyse, head marking, beak, leg color, marginal webbing of the feathers, belly color and so forth. So, I would say that you are right!!

At least another 13 types of lark including bimaculated, migrant breeder apparently normally around mid year, but as it was seen on my first birding trip around Oman they're all new to me as well. Unfortunately this bird did not want to fly and sat doggedly on his branch while I snapped away from 2 metres!
Got 2 nice back shots but it was not obliging enough to face me.

Thanks for that Mike and Steve

:cool:

Last edited:
Maybe this will help.

Jane, I think the subspecies on yours is marginata, that one looks like it is old plumage.

Attachments

• Mirafra c. cantillans 22.jpg
    Mirafra c. cantillans 22.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 186
  • Mirafra c. cantillans 44.jpg
    Mirafra c. cantillans 44.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 177
  • Mirafra c. cantillans 332.jpg
    Mirafra c. cantillans 332.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
rafo1 said:
Confuses the heck out of me :brains: , but I do like Jane's logic
"its in a Bush and its singing and its clearly a Lark!"

So before I put it in the gallery we're all agreed that its a cantillans then?

:t:

I am satisfied that this is Mirafra cantillans simplex. I think that Jane may have become convinced by the photos that I attached but I am sure she will chime in directly to confirm my impression.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back