• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Drive Around Ireland (1 Viewer)

rpharvey

Just returned from a very snowy vacation driving around Ireland. As always seems to be the case when I make a trip to a location new to me, I returned with a camera full of bird photos with only a tourist information card to identify them by.

If you folk could check out this album link and give some pointers, it would be much appreciated.

http://picasaweb.google.com/harveyronp/IrelandBirds#

Going from left to right:
1. Pied Wagtail
2. Curlew
3. Pied Wagtail
4. Black-headed Gull
5. Song Thrush
6. Black-headed Gull
7. Chaffinch
8. Eurasian Oystercatcher
9. Chaffinch
10. Common Redshank
11. Black-headed Gull
12. Chaffinch
13. European Goldfinch
14. Blue Tit
15. Pied Wagtail
16. Whooper Swan
17. Mute Swan
18. Eurasian Wigeon
19. Robin

1, 3 and 15 - Pied Wagtail
2 Curlew
5 Song Thrush
6 and 11 - Black-headed Gull
7, 9 and 12 Chaffinches
8 Oystercatcher
10 Redshank
13 Goldfinch
14 Blue Tit
16 Whooper Swans
17 Mute Swan
18 Wigeon
19 Robin

I also saw another bird of interest that I was not able to photograph. I was swimming with the Whooping Swans in County Clare. It was a large duck/goose type bird, mostly a dull brown/grey but with a very clear white patch on its face. It was a large bird but was still significantly smaller than the Swans it was with. The only significant marking I could make out was the clear white patch.

I first thought a Barnacle Goose but thought I'd check with the experts to see if there are other likely possibilities.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back