• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone know this one? (1 Viewer)

TerryH

Found this I took last year in Azores can anyone identify please.

Attachments

• img985.jpg
    img985.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 371
Nearest I can come to it is Brambling, but that doesn't look quite right. Where are the Azores, by the way - Europe or America ?

Tony

Hi Tony,
The Azores are about 1000mile out in the Atlantic in line with Lisbon/Portugal. They are part of Portugal.

Geoff I have looked through all my books and can't find a match it was about the size of a song thrush.

Terry,

How about one of the Island races of chaffinch? Could be Fringilla coelebs canariensis, this one is found on the atlantic islands. there are also a couple of other sub-species that look very similar to your piccy. (This is from Handbook of the birds of Europe the Middle East and North Africa).

Regards

Ken

Aleix,

Many thanks for the link - Azores Chaffinch it is.

Will add to the gallery if none already there.

We also tried to photo the Grey wagtail but without success.

Many thanks

Terry.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back