• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pine Warbler? New Hampshire, USA (1 Viewer)

Miedin

Closet Birdwatcher
I'm 90% positive this is just a wet Pine Warbler but not being 100% I wanted a second oppinion. I've been wrong before.

Thanks.

Attachments

• bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 465
  • bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 400
  • bird3.jpg
    bird3.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 547
That poor, bedraggled little bird is definitively not a Pine Warbler. Structurally it is wrong, Pine Warblers have an unusually long tail projection for warblers due to their combination of long tails and short primary projection. This bird is the reverse, with the long primaries come fairly close to the short tail tip, as can be seen in the 2nd picture. The bird is also the wrong color, Pine Warblers have warm olive to olive/brown upperparts while this bird is cool gray. Furthermore, Pine Warblers have distinct wing bars, and this bird does not.

I believe this bird to be that drab warbler which is notorious for fooling birders, a first spring female Cape May Warbler. Like a first fall female, this age can look very different from spring adult females, let alone spring adult males. The gray color is fine, the short tail and short tail projection are good, the scattered blurry streaks on the underside are good, the face pattern is very good, and the pale yellow on the throat, chin and upper breast is just what you want. Note as well that the yellow color broadly extends up the pale neck patch beneath the dark auriculars, right for Cape May and too strong for Pine. You can even pick out the contrasting pale edgings on two of the greater coverts, right where a Pine should be low contrast. Best of all is that little bitty dab of yellow/green on the rump beneath the gray mantle in the second photo, which can be seen better if you zoom in at 300%, and pretty much nails the ID.

I don't like the size of the bill, but assume that is because the bird is wet and the feathers are plastered down on the head, making the head look smaller and the bill larger.

First spring female Dendroica tigrina for my vote.

Last edited:
This is by far the dodgiest (new world) warbler I've seen on this forum yet! I was afraid to comment on it's dissimilarities with everything I've read on Pines, but glad to see Thayeri's here with a paragraph chock-full of great ID tips!

swamp_rattler said:
On the contrary, Thayeri. This is indeed a Pine Warbler!

With all due respect, swamp_rattler, without a counter-argument your statment means nothing. And what exactly is "on the contrary"? Just the ID? Or something within his detailed analysis? What exactly makes it a Pine in your opinion? Please do respond - I'd love to learn more about what makes this little guy one thing vs. another.

Thank you all for the responses. I never even considered Cape May Warbler and thank you Thayeri for taking the time to break it down. I find myself taking notes on most of your replies here.

I will look for it again today, hopefully it's still around and not so wet.

I'd have to wonder about the bill shape as well as the size for Cape May - it doesn't seem to be that thin slightly downcurved bill. Pine also show a yellow mark extending from behind the cheek. Even on the drabest Cape May's there should be more streaking surely? I can't even see any streaking on the upper breast, flanks etc. I also don't see the contrasting yellow rump coloration that I'd also expect to see even in a drab female. Structually I always think of the Cape May as a small headed warbler and I'm certainly not seeing that in this bird. Just my thought's - at the moment I'm leaning towards Pine but without a few reference materials I'm certainly not sure. One of the harder ID's warbler wise i've seen on BF.

Luke

ps - Promise I don't just argue with you for the sake of it Thayeri ;)!

Last edited:
I do thoroughly enjoy a good advocacy based discussion on the merits of different proposed IDs for obscure little puzzle birds, and Luke, if your chosen battleground this time around (er, I mean discussion perspective) is to elucidate for Alex and I as to just why it is this short-tailed gray bird with no wing bars is a Pine Warbler, then I eagerly await your reply! :bounce:

Like Alex as well, the first couple times I looked at it, I had to pass, I was sure it was no Pine Warbler (in my opinion), but had no idea what it was. Then I got to thinking about obscure drab gray backed birds with yellow up front, eventually thought to look very carefully at the rump, and things got interesting. Particularly, as with every characteristic I looked at in closer detail, Cape May was reinforced (imo), and Pine had further difficulties, just 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15. Fun!

So, to respond to Luke's points, while I await enlightenment as to the case for Pine in his next post ( ;) ),

1. I don't like the bill either, like I said. All I can say is that we have all seen familiar birds look strange in some circumstances, and I have to assume the effect of the rain on the poor little bird makes the bill look strange compared to our usual head frame of reference.

2. When tracking down obscure little birds high ahead as they dart in and out of foliage, trying to narrow down the species, one of the things I appreciate about Cape Mays is something they have that most streaked warblers don't: ventral streaking. To my eye, the bird does look "obscurely streaked" with "blurry" little low contrast streaks, which is what you want in a hatch year female. What is even most interesting is the streaking looks darkest right at the ventral area (look at the middle photo in particular), which is perfect for Cape May but wrong for most warblers, including Pine.

3. Hatch year females can have particularly dull and greenish rump coloration, and the lighting and angle aren't great -- I just know that I distinctly see some yellow/green amongst the gray right at the rump.

4. I phrased my observation poorly on the neck coloring, you are correct that both species are characterized by light yellowish necks contrasting with dark auriculars. However, with Cape May female it a strong contrast between gray auriculars and broad white yellow band then gray mantle -- like this bird. Pine is subtler, olive / pale greenish yellow / olive. Do you really want to say that dark gray / yellow / dark gray is Pine?

5. I don't like the head either, but I think the feathers being plastered down does make the usual jizz comparisons suspect.

(thanks for the kind words, Miedin!)

Last edited:
Hmmmm.....interesting thread. Just back from southern Florida where Cape May was one of the commonest warblers passing through.

Based on that experience I can't see this being a Cape May even an odd fenmale.

The bill as others have mentioned isn't right - the subtle downcurve and tapering of Cape May is pretty distinctive, this bird just does not show that.

Plumage wise is it indeed drookit and taken in very dull light so it's hard to be sure what the real colours/tones are on much of the bird.

However the yellow seems very bright (intense) on the last photo, this looks way too strong for Cape May female/1st yr male. Would fit a pine warbler or possibly even a female parula.

The wing coverts appear to show pale tips to greater and medians so it is double wingbarred again not right for Cape May, but could be either of the other 2 species mentioned.

Tail in the second photo appears to show some blue/grey tones with whitish spots on inner webs, which would favour the latter two species not Cape May which has a more olive toned tail.

I also don't see any diffuse streaking like female Cape May, just feathers dishevelled by being wet. Also the eye crescents are off white but well defined again a non Cape May feature but a better fit for the latter two species. Wet matted crown feathers makes any assessment of lores or short supercilium difficult to acertain.

I'm not 100% sure what it is but it's a toss up between pine and dull female parula for me, pobably pine??

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Andrew

Good to see some additional insightful commentry on a US ID thread. You've obviously been studying your birds down in Florida(where Cape May's as you suggest are probably as common as anywhere else). Personally I have limited experience with them as they tend to avoid coastal New England and head through the Appalachains.

I was going to tentatively have Parula as a second guess, however it didn't feel right for that bird either. Saying that I also didn't pick it because the idea of confusing the two to me would border on the ridiculous - where of course in the field it would be a simple call as Parulas are tiny active warblers and Pines rather large sedentary ones.

I would expect some contrasting coloration of the back with a Parula but as you say the lighting is at best terrible (I sympathise Miedin as i'm probably getting as good a soaking as he is at the moment) so could be persuaded. It might also explain why the jizz etc seems so poor for a Pine (even with the soaking).

Luke

Hi Andrew,

Glad you had a chance to see quite a few of "our" birds on your visit! I was also glad to see a theory besides Pine and Cape May! However, these are some points you might want to consider for Parula identification:

1) Parulas have broad, bold white wing bars, quite different from the thin pale greater covert edging we see on this bird.
2) Parulas never have yellow patches on the neck curving up behind the auriculars.
3) Parulas do have the unique combination of a yellow throat meeting a yellow lower mandible in all plumages.

There are other differences as well like a green mantle patch, but it is a bit tough to get around those first three big ones...

(and Luke, I would think that visitors aside, most NA birders would try to avoid making the statement that a bird is either a Pine or Parula -- glad you dodged it! or did you? B :) )

I have indeed considered the points made about parula. It came into my thinking as a possibility as the bird showed a double wingbar and there are few other warblers that would show wingbars and such a strong clean yellow throat and upper breast.

On the wingbars, you can see that the greater coverts are actually displaced so you are not getting the full wing bar effect - to me the amount of white on the medians and greaters appears similar in extent. It may be a bit narrow for parula but some of the females I saw in Florida and Delaware recently showed less prominent wingbars than males. Also Cape Mays show a much stronger median bar - usually as an almost solid white patch which this bird doesn't show.

On the photos I think the angle of the head and the fact it is hunched into the body makes it very hard to say whether the yellow extends round the auriculars or whether it's an arefact to the odd stance. Of course yellow extends round on pine.

And yep parulas have a yellowish lower mandible which this bird doesn't appear to have which is one of the reason's I was tending towards pine. Female parulas can also show duller pinky lower mandibles but this bird looks greyish more like pine.

Of course behavioural differences go out the window with a wet bedraggled bird such as this - think that much rain would slow a parula down just a bit!

My main contention was however that the bird wasn't a Cape May (there are no real pro Cape May features on this bird to my eye) - still leaning towards pine.

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Andrew, I do appreciate your field experience, and as all three species in question are local breeders here, I guess you could say that I've seen them all once or twice myself. Nonetheless, we seem to be having some terminology differences, so I was hoping pictures would help!

http://www.giffbeaton.com/warblers.htm

The above is a link to Giff Beaton's website that has multiple photos of each species with different ages and genders, and just browing all of them would be a good idea for the discussion. Three particular photos:

http://www.giffbeaton.com/Warblers/2002-11-14_GBI_Northern Parula 2.jpg

This first year female Northern Parula does have less broad wing bars, as you say. But, they are still definite broad white wing bars, i.e. only at the bottom of the coverts, and not pale edges running lengthwise. Note also the yellow lower mandible, the green back, and the bright yellow being restricted to throat and breast.

http://www.giffbeaton.com/Warblers/1piwa yard-10-05-03-0006.jpg

This first year female Pine Warbler is quite drab -- but notice again, those broad white covert tips, i.e. wingbar, the brown tones, and how very far the tip of the tail projects past the end of the primaries.

http://www.giffbeaton.com/Warblers/14_CMWA-BZ-10-18-04-0039.jpg

While there is a lot of variation in first year female Cape Mays, and some obvious differences in the bigger picture, I found the covert pattern on the bird above to be a near perfect match with the second photo of the subject bird. Long pale edges creating vertical lines on the greater coverts, with short slightly broader pale tips to the median coverts creating a weak wing bar. If you have it, note the Sibley discussion of this area for Pine and Cape May, where he points to the field marks.

Beaton does refer to Dunn & Garrett's "Field Guide To Warblers of North America" as the "oracle" for warbler identification, and in the section on Cape May, this the exact quote for how they say to tell the "confusion" plumages of first fall female Cape May & Pine warblers apart:

"Immature female PINE WARBLER is much larger and longer-tailed, browner (less gray) above, has broader, more distinct wing bars, and lacks the contrasting greenish rump and flight feather edgings." (underlines mine) Looking again at the second photo, it seems like we can see four out of six right there.

But most of all, I agree with Luke, "One of the harder ID's warbler wise i've seen on BF."

Problems with any alternative because of the shape the bird is in, I don't like this bird for Cape May -- but the CM issues seem less than the issues with other two, and I'm intrigued that the more small little details I look at, the more work well with Cape May, while causing bigger problems with Pine Warbler.

Last edited:
I posted early supporting the female pine warbler....both of you raise good points....I definitely can not see it being a cape may as there is no streaking on the breast whatsoever. This bird also has a faint but perceptable eye ring...something that is also not seen on a cape may warbler.

What bothers me the most is the sharp contrast between the yellow along the neck to the clean unstreaked white breast....The Northern Parula is the only bird I know of that has a clean breast like that..however the lack of wing bars rules that out.

To Sum it up...I'm not 100% sure on anything...This definetly is a puzzler. I'm going to be sure and keep and eye on this thread to find out if anyone decides something definitive....

I'm not too sure why this is such a puzzler. It is a typical Pine Warbler. It has a thick bill compared to other warblers. That cannot be denied. We all agree on that. Second, this bird's coloration is a dull olive-green above, and has a yellow throat. Notice the yellow throat distinctly contrasts with the auriculars, which are olive. In Pine Warblers, the yellow throat extends back up behind the auriculars a touch...it is barely evident in the photos. Look at the third photo (best shot IMO). See its dull but conspicuous broken eyering? Another good field mark for Pine. As far as wingbars go, you can make them out. Yeah, not as sharply defined as you'd expect, but this bird is pretty wet and ruffled, and the shots are fairly dark. But if you look, you can see them. The rest of the underparts are unmarked whitish, consistent with Pine. In Cape May, you'll find conspicuous streaking. Also, Cape Mays have fine bills, perhaps slightly decurved. Not this bird! Due to the virtual lack of streaking on the sides, I'll have to say this is an adult female...but certainly a PINE!

Do yourselves a favor and look up as many images as you can on Pine Warblers. Usually, we tend to look at the 'pretty' pictures; thus we see beautiful male Pines with distinct wing bars, bright olive above, bright yellow throat, etc. That's a mistake. Don't ignore duller pictures. Study them. You'll learn the 'jizz' of each species, which pays off in the field.

This thread has been incredibly informative. I've been reading it several times since it was first posted, and, while I don't have anything new to add, I've had trouble with calling this a Pine Warbler from the start. For me, I'd just have to chalk it up as a bird for which a positive ID will forever be unknown.

Ok definitely my last comments on this bird - nice website link Thayeri.

Having reconsidered everything I'm still looking at parula as a strong possibility.

The contrast in the third photo of the white belly, yellow breast and darker head colours is a pattern which parulas show - its hard to get past that as someone else mentioned.

Also looking at the breast in the third photo there are actually a few darker looking 'spots' on it these may be very wet feathers but they look like more orangey toned feathers.

Thirdly the legs to me appear to be pale brown/pinky in all the pics which is out of character for both Cape May and Pine.

Wingbars are very displaced due to the wet feathers - looks like the white is quite strong on the lower part of the outer webs of both the median and greater coverts.

Bill still doesn't seem to have a pale lower mandible though.

Now I know you wouldn't normally confuse a parula with most other warblers but this is 3 close photos with little to gauge size of the bird. It's also atypical because of the weather and lighting. Interestingly Kaufmann mentions dull female parulas as a pitfall for other warblers in Advanced Birding.

I'm still not 100% sure from the those photos mind.

One thing though is that reviewing various Cape May photos and id descriptions this bird cannot be one as 1. bill shape is wrong; 2. There is no underpart streaking; 3. They never show such a strong yellow wash restricted to such a small area; 4. the wingbars would be atypical for CM.

Still not sure it isn't a pine though again the pattern of head/throat/belly without any hint of streaking isn't typical.

Of course we all seem to have assumed that the pic was taken recently - maybe Miedin can enlighten us just case we've all got the wrong end of the stick!

Cheers,
Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back