• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler Crete (1 Viewer)

ColD

Save the Egyptian Vulture in Greece
This little bird flits into the garden steals fruit from a shrub and is away,is it a whitethroat ? its silent not too secretive but is in and out so quick , I set up the camera and managed this shot but only half a bird , it has I noticed white outer tail feathers. thanks
Col.

Attachments

• IMG0001.jpg
    IMG0001.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
dbradnum said:
Looks like a female Sardinian to me...

I thought sardi at first , mostly see the males about with lots more red around the eye , this one looked more white hence my query re a whitethroat , thanks Col

I agree on Subalpine Warbler, a female Sylvia cantillans albistriata . A young Sardinian can show a whitish eye-ring but not that iris colour.

Surely this is a Sardinian wblr. The eye ring is reddish and the bill base is greyish. Subalp should have a paler base to the bill and a pale eye ring outside of the red orbital ring. General plumage tones look more like Sardinian to me as well.

Well, I had to check this bird twice after your responses! The eye-ring looks whitish on my monitor, not reddish. I agree head shape and bill looks very Sardinian but the eye-ring...
This bird looks very very very similar to the photos of summer females Subalpine W. albistriata on Shirihai´s Sylvia Warblers.
1st winter Sardinians can show a buff/cream eye-ring but this bird doesn´t look like a very advanced juv., looks older, maybe a first summer, so what´s the whitish eye-ring doing there? Maybe it´s just my monitor.
Here are some pics from the Balearics of both species to compare. Subalpines are not albistriata but cantillans, Sardinians are ssp melanocephala. The second Subalpine looks similar to the subject.
When I first opened the pic I thought Sardinian on shape, bill and breast-side colours but the more I looked at the pic the more it looked somewhat wrong for Sardinian. Probably I looked too much... ;)

1 & 2 adult Sardinians, first in October second Spring
3 juv Sardinian
4 & 5 Subalpines in Spring

Attachments

• Syl mel female.jpg
    Syl mel female.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 164
  • Syl mel female 2.jpg
    Syl mel female 2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Syl mel 3j.jpg
    Syl mel 3j.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Syl can female.jpg
    Syl can female.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 155
  • Syl can female 3.jpg
    Syl can female 3.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
glad I am not the only one to have problems with this warblers, I got another photo this evening though ,should help everyone decide on this one.thanks for the excellent photos Motmot...Col

Attachments

• IMG_0673_1_1.jpg
    IMG_0673_1_1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Motmot said:
This new pic looks a juv. Sardinian Warbler, if it´s the same bird end of the game!

Agreed ...I believe it is the same bird , have watched it coming and going for a while today and its routine was the same as yesterday same route in and out etc , but it had me going for a while until i got a good spot of it..thanks Col.

Agree with Motmot, it doe´s have a whitish eye-ring and question is if i´t´s a juvenile Sardinian in post juvenile moult., or a first summer/adult Subalpine, a juvenile would look different plumagewise. It looks different in second pic, more like a Sardinian, if so it must be a juvenile. There should be more brownish on flanks on a Sardinian.

JanJ

hannu said:
I'd say it's Sardinian, 1cy female:
You will see grey head contrasting slightly in the brownish back in the first pic...
Also the base of the lower mandible is grey (As it should be in Sardinian).

Well both caracters are also ok for Subalpine. Females show greyish-brown upperparts with greyer head. Lower mandible is usually horn, sometimes greyish or pinkish.
The second pic Col posted is clearly a Sardinian, the first one is the problematic, most of the bird can´t be seen. Pics were taken in a garden, pro Sardinian.

Check this Subalpine bill

Attachments

• Subalpine.jpg
    Subalpine.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 174
The grey on the first pic extends well over the back and is not cut of sharply as the pictures of Hannu show. (though on the side of the neck)
Legs on the first picture are greyish as far as to be seen.
The favourable last picture out of five Motmot gave in (Subalpine in hand), shows overall an equeal bird, nevertheless, the tone of grey on that bird is more bluish than our mysterie bird
Again, the Sardinians Motmot gave in show blueish in the grey as well
For the bill, indeed on the Subalpine it shows very slightly flesh/orangie and not greyish as in the first picture
But..so do his Sardinians

I SAY I AM GREY MYSELF FOR NOT SEEING THIS STUFF FOR REAL AT THE MOMENT!!!

As a man, I am not made for a PC

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back