• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruddy Duck?. (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
I took this pic of a pair of ducks on my local gravel pit yesterday, they were gone this morning. Berkshire.
The pit has no islands so is usually devoid of ducks other than GC Grebes, Tufties, Coot and Moorhen.
The Birds were about the same size as mallards. The Bill was a very pale Blue/Grey.
I have never seen a Ruddy duck, but suspect that this is what they are.
Can anyone confirm or correct my suspisions?.

Attachments

• new-1.jpg
    new-1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 537
I'm afraid they're not pure Ruddies. I've never heard of a Ruddy X Mallard cross. I suspect it is unlikely but you never know! It may be some domesticated Mallard and Pintail - the proportions, especially the tail, look right for Pintail parentage

Darrell

Hi Michael - 'course they are - whenever someone shows me a duck I don't immediately recognise I go into hybrid mode. At least I got the Pintail bit right :)

Darrell

Michael Frankis said:
Nope, not Ruddies. They look like escaped White-cheeked Pintails (Anas bahamensis), a South American duck often kept in duck collections.

Micheal

Many thanks for clearing that up!.

I've still not seen :storm: a Ruddy Duck then!.
Oh well!.

Hi Alan,
sorry for digging out this old thread,
but there seem to be some inconsistencies with whitecheeked pintails, so it might be really the best to go into hybrid mode...

the main thing: white cheeked pintail should have an all light brown tail, not darker middle feathers as these birds show.

also the size of whitecheeked pintail is slightly smaller than in mallard.

Do you by any chance have some more pics?

Jörn

Joern Lehmhus said:
Hi Alan,
sorry for digging out this old thread,
but there seem to be some inconsistencies with whitecheeked pintails, so it might be really the best to go into hybrid mode...

the main thing: white cheeked pintail should have an all light brown tail, not darker middle feathers as these birds show.

also the size of whitecheeked pintail is slightly smaller than in mallard.

Do you by any chance have some more pics?

Jörn
Jörn

Sorry no. The camera I had at the time was less than 0.5 Mp. I am reasonably sure that they were white cheeked Pintails as a pair were seen on a nearby river this spring in their summer plumage and a red base to the bill!.

Alan,
Well I can tell you, that is not a pure White Cheeked Pintail beacause the white gets up to the top of the bill on a normal one, but this one has the white just up to the bottom of the bill. But It could be a hybrid. IT MUST BE
Good luck.
Have you seen a Ruddy yet??? If not I hope you do

erizzo said:
Alan,
Well I can tell you, that is not a pure White Cheeked Pintail beacause the white gets up to the top of the bill on a normal one, but this one has the white just up to the bottom of the bill. But It could be a hybrid. IT MUST BE
Good luck.
Have you seen a Ruddy yet??? If not I hope you do
erizzo
I have not seen them since I took the photo, they may have ben Juveniles?.
But I have since seen Ruddy Ducks and they cannot be mistaken for these birds!.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back