• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best compact digital, £100 - £150 ? (1 Viewer)

SteveTS

Shopping for a compact digital for a gift : slim, black or other dark colour, 8x - 10x zoom, iro £120.00, and would appreciate recommendations.

Perhaps you have direct experience with a particular current model, good or not so good ?

Not looking for advice on bridge cameras, and not looking to buy privately, thanks.

I use a Canon ixus 500hs as my back pocket camera, it is very compact but still packs a 10x optical zoom and delivers decent images. I picked it up cheap and have been very pleasantly surprised by the quality of it both in terms of build and image quality. I am not sure what model is the current version of this but the one that came next was the 510hs which is very similar but with a 12x zoom. You can get them through Canon outlet on eBay at a fair price - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-Dig...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item417ee22b2c

The Canon Ixus range are simple to use and provide high quality results and I have used them for holiday snaps for years. A change from my usual kit. I have had several and all have been problem free.

Please remember to include a memory card with your gift - all the ones I have met use SD/SDHC type cards.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. Looks like as new discontinued stock, certainly a 'back pocket' size.

Micro-SD card for those I guess.

Best wishes,

Thanks for the link. Looks like as new discontinued stock, certainly a 'back pocket' size.

Micro-SD card for those I guess.

Best wishes,

The 500 takes micro sd so I guess the 510 does too. I have bought frommCanon outlet a few times and have been very happy with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back