• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for September Jamaica trip? (1 Viewer)

jbower47

(I asked this in the regional section, but it doesn't look like there was much activity, so I hope it's not a problem to ask here as well...)

I'll be taking an anniversary trip to the Montego Bay area at the end of September. Birding will definitely not be the point of the trip, but I'm hoping to carve out a couple hours some morning since all the endemics and many of the other species would be lifers for me. My wife will be content to lay on the beach all vacation, but I need to get out and see things! I know it's not the best time to be there, or the best place in Jamaica to be, etc, but I'm hoping to see a few things anyway.

Besides Rockland, which seems to be on everyone's list, where else should I be looking in the Montego Bay area during this non-ideal time frame? It's unlikely I'll be able to travel any great distance.

Any recommendations for must sees, or good guides who might do just a morning excursion, or what have you?

(I asked this in the regional section, but it doesn't look like there was much activity, so I hope it's not a problem to ask here as well...)

I'll be taking an anniversary trip to the Montego Bay area at the end of September. Birding will definitely not be the point of the trip, but I'm hoping to carve out a couple hours some morning since all the endemics and many of the other species would be lifers for me. My wife will be content to lay on the beach all vacation, but I need to get out and see things! I know it's not the best time to be there, or the best place in Jamaica to be, etc, but I'm hoping to see a few things anyway.

Besides Rockland, which seems to be on everyone's list, where else should I be looking in the Montego Bay area during this non-ideal time frame? It's unlikely I'll be able to travel any great distance.

Any recommendations for must sees, or good guides who might do just a morning excursion, or what have you?

Windsor Caves in Cockpit country might be the nearest site to Montego Bay with a good number of endemics. Just bird the trails around the end of the road for a few hundred metres (easily doable without a guide). The owl and potoo are here if you can be there late or early. You could maybe tie it in with a trip to see the famous bioluminescent bay on the coast nearby. We saw a good range of endemics in a couple of hours, doing it as a day trip from Just outside Montego Bay, seeing the potoo, and making it to the coast in time for the boat trip to the bioluminescent bay.

try this trip report, might be some ideas there http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=321169

Last edited:
Thanks, Larry. I hadn't looked that far afield, but that looks doable!

Any idea what kind of birds I should expect to see around Montego Bay itself> The resort has a small wooded section nearby (west of the bay), and a small cay directly offshore, so I assume there will be a chance at at least a couple birds I don't see in the continental US, even if they're not endemics....Ebird doesn't have a whole lot of data for that area...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back