• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

poorman's hummingbird setup recommendations? (1 Viewer)

ctron

Hi,

I am new to bird photography/ imaging in general, but recently I have taken on hummingbird imaging. This seems to be an art all by itself as these guys are small and the wings move so fast that I find it difficult to freeze them in images. I am using a Canon 350D with Canon 400mm f/5.6 lens and sometimes with a Kenko 1.4x extender. If I take 50 shots at various angles and lighting, I might get one that looks acceptable. I am trying to improve the odds, especially when trying to capture the fantastic color of the males, which I find very difficult to get the lighting correct.

I started off using just sunlight and repositioning the feeder so that the sun would illuminate the hummer at the proper angles. This sort of works, but the hummers don't show up often enough during full daylight to offer consistent results and so I am often left with the no or little color result. I then started using the camera's built in flash which helps just slightly because with the telephoto lens, it doesn't have much effect. Still inconsistent or poor results.

After a quick web search, it seems that the best results are being achieved with external flashes, sometimes up to six or eight. However, even the low end flashes are way beyond my budget and I am seeking an alternative. What about multiple floodlights placed at various angles? My local department store offers 500 watt quartz worklights very often at less than $10 US each and they are very bright. Now I know that heat is a factor, but 4-5 of these could be purchased very reasonably and placed around the feeder at various angles. As long as they weren't left on too long- or even engaged when a hummer approaches- would it be possible to use these and has anyone done it with successful results? Another possibility I have considered is one or two battery powered million candlepower or more spotlights. These might be better because of greater distance, less heat and more portable.

The bottom line is that I'm looking for a low cost alternative to the multiple flash technique and would appreciate sharing of others experiences in this regard.

Thanks,
Jon

Hi jon! I don't claim to be an expert shooting hummers, but I have gotten quite few nice captures of them. And most of them have been with external flashes. A flash also helps in bright sunlight as well, although it is easier to crank up your shutter speed under those conditions. I have never tried any other technique for lighting except for the external flash so I cannot provide any advice about alternative lighting sources.

You have a very nice camera kit for birding, but I generally use zooms of the 70-200mm persuasion for hummers. I have used a Nikon 80-400mm at about 300mm successfully and even a couple of crisp captures with 500mm manual focus lens. But I find it difficult to keep up with the little zoomers with a long lens.

If you check my gallery on this website, the hummer shots in the flowers are without flash and the rest are with flash. Save your dollars for an external flash and you will be a whole lot less frustrated.

John

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/57067

I use only available light for shooting hummers. Requires a fast lens (f 2.8) and on some days there is just not enough light, but somehow I am uncomfortable using a flash on those fast moving birds. I know that a lot of the published professional hummer photos are taken with multi-flash set-ups, but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. On a reasonable sunny day I get 1/2000s f 4 @ iso 200 or better with the 70-200 2.8 I am using, dreaming of a 300 2.8 as nice addition.

Ulli

P.S. Those 500 W lights draw a lot of juice, and for the $50 you would have to spend for those you should be able to get a basic flash (or two 2nd hand) that can be controlled manually or their own metering computer. With multi-flash set-ups camera system specific TTL flash photography is limited to some high end equipment and may not work in the specific situation.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back