• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pelagic Photography (1 Viewer)

Binocularface

You've all got one...............!
Hi,

I am going on a pelagic trip in a few weeks time and so I am quite keen to learn the best techniques to allow me to get good pics of that Fea's Petrel ;)

Firstly RAW or Jpeg, the age old question! I usually shoot in RAW, but with my Camera (Canon 400D) this only allows me a 12-shot burst before having to wait a few seconds before I can start shooting again. I can cope with this most of the time, but it could be a slightly different situation when on a boat in the middle of the sea! If I shoot in Jpeg I can continuously shoot with no noticeable or significant lag. So is it worth the compromise if IQ?

Secondly would you use Aperture priority for phorographing in this environment or stick to Manual? Metering could be a bit trickier out at sea than on land?

Any thoughts or tips appreciated.

I would shoot in RAW, a 12 shot burst should be more than sufficient. Generally I find 3-5 shots at a time is usual.

I can't help with the shooting mode, although I always use AV at sea. Perhaps whatever you are most comfortable with.

Just to whet your appetite, have a look at today's post on my website

Fea's Petrel

Good luck!!

I would concur with Harold. Shoot in RAW use AV. I use a 1d2n and ef 400 f5.6 lens

you can read about a pelagic I went on on my blog below

I would shoot in RAW, a 12 shot burst should be more than sufficient. Generally I find 3-5 shots at a time is usual.

I can't help with the shooting mode, although I always use AV at sea. Perhaps whatever you are most comfortable with.

Just to whet your appetite, have a look at today's post on my website

Fea's Petrel

Good luck!!

Thanks for advice Harold, I will stick to RAW!

That Fea's would be very nice!

I would concur with Harold. Shoot in RAW use AV. I use a 1d2n and ef 400 f5.6 lens

you can read about a pelagic I went on on my blog below

Thanks Pluvialis - I have read your write up on the Pelagic you went on, sounds like a superb trip. Superb pictures too!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back