• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Studio setup-basic advice needed please (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I have decided to try and set up a basic studio to learn portrait/kids etc.
I have attached a sketch of the space available which is basically a small(ish) room.
There is a patio door to one side-it doesn't get direct sun but is 2000mm wide so there is natural light.
There is a door which lets in some light.
The TV in the corner cannot be moved but the furniture can be moved within the room i.e. not taken out.

I am seeking advice on the kit required i.e. umbrella(s) , lighting, reflectors for natural light. back drops. Plus approximate cost & best place to purchase if possible.
My kit is Canon 40D, 17-85 with IS, Sigma 150 macro. I also have a 580 flash which has never been used.
Thanks in advance
The sketch hasn't come out too clear. The room is 3600x3300 and the patio door is 2000mm

Attachments

• room.jpg
    room.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
The space looks OK for shots of the kids sitting down and head/shoulder portraits. I don't think its big enough for full length shots but that really isn't a problem. If you've got nice soft light coming through the patio door then a backdrop of some description and a decent size reflector (the 5 in 1s are useful) to bounce light back onto the subject will get you going.
The 580 could be set up off camera with a softbox or brolly attachment as the next stage and then if you want to advance its onto studio flash. I really recommend you don't make my mistake of buying continuous (tungsten) lights. I found them woefully short of light power and a monumental source of heat. Flash of any description is better but something like elinchrom d-lites would be well worth looking at. A light meter will make it pretty quick and easy to set the lights up.
I get most of my stuff from the flash centre but warehouse express offer a good range as well.

The 40d and 17-85 will be fine for portrait shots

Thanks Paul.
What is a light metre ? I assume you don't literally mean one that reads the light off the subject-or do you ? If so how does that help set up the lights?

Thanks Paul.
What is a light metre ? I assume you don't literally mean one that reads the light off the subject-or do you ? If so how does that help set up the lights?

My light meter http://www.sekonic.com/products/products.asp?ID=3

Used as a flash meter a light meter reads the incident light, ie the light falling on the subject rather than the reflected light coming back from the subject which is what the camera reads.

To set studio flash up a basic setting for the camera is iso100, 1/125 sec and f11. These settings are manually entered into the camera which can then be left on one side for the moment.
On the light meter enter settings of iso100 and 1/125 sec shutter speed. Plug the meter into one of the lights and hold the meter near the face of your subject (or yourself if your subject hasn't arrived.) with the meter pointing towards the flash head. Press the button on the meter to fire the flash and the meter will display an f stop value. Adjust the lights until the reading is f11 and thats it, the lights are set. I find it miles faster than trying to use the histogram on the back of the camera.
With the camera on manual and the setting entered you will get consistent exposures until you want to alter a setting.

Last edited:
Hi David,

I use the same light meter as Paul and a pair of Elinchrom D-Lites. Using a light meter with the softboxes (or umberellas) makes your lighting so much easier and predictable.
I got my stuff through Warehouse Express. I recommend e-bay for backdrops etc. I managed to get a complete Lastolite system and a whole load of backdrops really cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back