• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

first digiscoping kit (1 Viewer)

firebrace

registered bird scarer
hi guys, i`m considering getting involved in the mysterious world of digiscoping and would like some advice please. i`ve found a complete set up on a well known auction site comprising of a nikon coolpix 4500 +vanguard 20x80 scope+ all neccessary fittings. i understand the coolpix is a good choice but i can`t find any info on the scope. what i`d like to know is, would this make a decent starter kit and what would be a reasonable price to pay.
thanks in advance.

Coopix 995

hi guys, i`m considering getting involved in the mysterious world of digiscoping and would like some advice please. i`ve found a complete set up on a well known auction site comprising of a nikon coolpix 4500 +vanguard 20x80 scope+ all neccessary fittings. i understand the coolpix is a good choice but i can`t find any info on the scope. what i`d like to know is, would this make a decent starter kit and what would be a reasonable price to pay.
thanks in advance.

I've got a Nikon 995 this model was replaced by the 4500. Its now become surplus packed up digiscoping back in 2004...after selling the Swaro 80HD...combo worked well since upgraded to DSLR...If your interested I can email you some pictures.

The complete combo you have found should be fine but make sure the scope is HD otherwise you are wasting your money...Buy the best glass. I made that mistake, my first scope was a Kowa 911. Later I purchased the Swaro 80HD but it cost over a grand but the picture quality was fantastic.

Please email: [email protected]

Roy.

i just bought Nikon's digiscoping coolpix s5100 kit, which is that camera with a nikon raIII 65. It cost £500 from RSPB Lochwinnoch.
I have to say I'm pretty happy with it, though haven't had the chance to put it through its paces completely.
The GSwoodpecker was taken through the kitchen window. Maybe distance of 10m
The goldfinch was through an open window, about 20m
Waxwing from street level to top of tree in really poor light.
Jupiter's moons, I think it shows up the need a new tripod,as does the teal at Hogganfield loch.
I really just set off to buy a new scope, and I'm very happy with the scope, the attachment of the camera is dead easy. I think digiscoping is going to be less important to me than birding, but I think this kit is pretty good for giving me proof of view photos and if something I don't recognise I can put it on a forum like this.
Hope this helps.
Allan.

Attachments

• digiscoping1 049.JPG
    digiscoping1 049.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 473
  • digiscoping1 110.JPG
    digiscoping1 110.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 551
  • digiscoping1 104.JPG
    digiscoping1 104.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 353
  • digiscoping1 118.JPG
    digiscoping1 118.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 377
  • digiscoping1 148.JPG
    digiscoping1 148.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 388
thanks for the info chaps. i was going to going to leave this outfit alone, but there was a bit of interest on it in the last couple of hours so i put a bid on and ended up winning it. :eek!:
it didn`t cost a fortune, it just remains to be seen if the results reflect the price. i`m also thinking that if it`s not for me i should be able to get (most of) my money back by relisting on that well known auction site.;)

well, the scope & camera has arrived and it`s a vanguard vsp-85 (20-80x85).
it`s a hefty piece of kit which has rendered my standard camera tripod totally useless, unless i want to constantly look at the moon!!
the really frustrating thing is that i go to work in the dark and come home in the dark, so i havn`t had chance to try it out yet, but my wife`s been looking across the gardens with it and she`s really impressed. i`ll be out with it first thing saturday morning to play with it. in the meantime i need to find a suitable tripod, can anyone suggest anything for a 1.6kg scope that`s not going to cost ££££££ ?

Will be interested to see your results firebrace, nearly bought that scope myself, as I already have Vanguard binoculars and love them.:)

sorry rolf, only just seen your post.
i went out to buy a new tripod and ended up buying an olivon scope as well! i`ve only tried the cp 4500 on the vanguard scope for shots through the kitchen window. to be honest the screen is far too small for me to be able to use it for digiscoping, even with me specs on. i bought a nikon t2 adapter to try my dslr, but havn`t tried that either. i was going down this route as a cheaper alternative to a 500mm lens, but an unexpected christmas bonus means i`ll be getting the lens, so the digiscope kit is now surplus to requirements.

Thanks for the reply firebrace, still may be worth playing with the scope, as there will be occasions when a 500m lens is still too short, that's what I've found.

Bought a Casio Exilim to test on the scope, but it doesn't really do too well, have been looking at used Ricoh GX100 and 200 cameras, but I'm obviously not the only one, as they are going for top prices.

Mounting Nikon FSB-6 on Nikon P5000

Recently picked up a new adapter listed in subject above. Instruction say to remove "adapter screw protection ring"(aspr) given the marginal photo I tryed-- going from one tool to another until I am quite sure I have ruined my camera! Is this the ring with two silver bands on the exterior?

Before I replace the camera would someone show by photo what I am to remove and some hints.

lowell

Recently picked up a new adapter listed in subject above. Instruction say to remove "adapter screw protection ring"(aspr) given the marginal photo I tryed-- going from one tool to another until I am quite sure I have ruined my camera! Is this the ring with two silver bands on the exterior?

Before I replace the camera would someone show by photo what I am to remove and some hints.

lowell

I think you just unscrew the knurled ring that is around the lens. See photo.

Paul.

Attachments

• camera-side1.jpg
    camera-side1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 183
Thanks Paul,

I know now that I was working on the ring. Unfortunately someone put this on with something like Locktite. I saw a nice P5000 on Ebay and asked seller to try and remove and he couldn't so may have a new FBB-6 for sale soon.

lowell

i just bought Nikon's digiscoping coolpix s5100 kit, which is that camera with a nikon raIII 65. It cost £500 from RSPB Lochwinnoch.
I have to say I'm pretty happy with it, though haven't had the chance to put it through its paces completely.
The GSwoodpecker was taken through the kitchen window. Maybe distance of 10m
The goldfinch was through an open window, about 20m
Waxwing from street level to top of tree in really poor light.
Jupiter's moons, I think it shows up the need a new tripod,as does the teal at Hogganfield loch.
I really just set off to buy a new scope, and I'm very happy with the scope, the attachment of the camera is dead easy. I think digiscoping is going to be less important to me than birding, but I think this kit is pretty good for giving me proof of view photos and if something I don't recognise I can put it on a forum like this.
Hope this helps.
Allan.

How have you been getting on with the Nikon digiscoping kit you purchased. I am considering getting one of these kits myself. The other one I am considering is the RSPB's own digiscoping kit using their AG60 or AG80 scopes and the Rollei camera. The advantage to me of the RSPB kit is, as a RSPB Volunteer, I can get 20% discount on any RSPB own brand optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back