• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Superzoom? (1 Viewer)

Hi Rich. I didn't but Roy did. I must admit that I didn't try as I assumed that as it was an import I wouldn't get it. It's on the SX50 thread.

All I can say is that I'm really happy with the camera. I'm hoping to get out to Jasper, Bella Coola etc. next year where it will be really handy. With its great zoom I won't need to get so close to the Grizzlies to get a shot;)

It's also very light which is important with luggage allowances.

Rich

Thanks Rich, yup just looking at the SX50 (specs) thread in "canon" but there's 35 pages to browse;-p! I will try a search for Roy C and see what I come up with.
Good to hear you are happy with it. I've never had a Canon Cam that I have not been happy with. Hoping the same with this wee fella. Good luck with the Grizzlies:-o!
Thx again
RichC

Thanks Rich, yup just looking at the SX50 (specs) thread in "canon" but there's 35 pages to browse;-p! I will try a search for Roy C and see what I come up with.
Good to hear you are happy with it. I've never had a Canon Cam that I have not been happy with. Hoping the same with this wee fella. Good luck with the Grizzlies:-o!
Thx again
RichC

PM sent Rich.

I'd check out the HS50 thread as well. Results certainly appear to be improving. Cost was also a factor in my decision. The FZ series gives some excellent results as well.

Good luck with your decision,

Rich

it seems to be between the Canon, Fujifilm, Sony and the Nikon. I was set on the Fuji until some magazine came up with the Sony and the Canon!! I have now been tossing and turning for a week...

Some great pictures on all. I think for me the speed of focus and picking up birds in flight is the thing I want most - this is the thing that my panasonic can't do!!

it seems to be between the Canon, Fujifilm, Sony and the Nikon. I was set on the Fuji until some magazine came up with the Sony and the Canon!! I have now been tossing and turning for a week...

Some great pictures on all. I think for me the speed of focus and picking up birds in flight is the thing I want most - this is the thing that my panasonic can't do!!
Hi RB. I wouldn't worry too much about magazine ratings from what I've read on Bird Forum. It doesn't appear that much emphasis is put on wildlife photography. There's not a huge amount of BIF shots on here either. As the beginner of all beginners that says to me that you may need a DSLR for quality BIF shots. Having said that, I'd be chuffed with Brian's shots earlier on this thread.

All the best with your choice,

Rich

Very reasonable prices. Not a great fan of big memory SD cards cos' if something goes wrong.... I prefer to have an extra couple of 4 or 8mb.

A bit late in the day, as the OP has decided on the Cannon, but I guess this thread might be read by some that haven't decided.

I've taken loads of flight/action shots with the Panasonic FZ150, and the faster AF and the 5.5fps with AF applies to the FZ200 as well. I won't post examples, as I'm not sure if it will be of interest; but I will post a few pics if anyone is interested.

(I already posted high IS0 examples in the FZ150 thread)

On the same token I bought the Lumix 18x optical zoom because the focus was fast - on paper. I struggle with flight shots and focussing. Obviously, I have some good flight pictures but get frustrated when wanting record shots and missing the bird in question! This is why I want to change now and also why I am being more cautious second time round.

The multiframe is a waste of time for moving objects because the object is 'lost', from the viewfinder, for the time that the camera processes the picture.

These points don't make the Lumix a bad camera just not good enough for my needs....

On the same token I bought the Lumix 18x optical zoom because the focus was fast - on paper. I struggle with flight shots and focussing. Obviously, I have some good flight pictures but get frustrated when wanting record shots and missing the bird in question! This is why I want to change now and also why I am being more cautious second time round.

The multiframe is a waste of time for moving objects because the object is 'lost', from the viewfinder, for the time that the camera processes the picture.

These points don't make the Lumix a bad camera just not good enough for my needs....

I have to say that I don't recognise those "faults" with my FZ150. I've never waited for processing, as you continue to shoot as pictures are being saved to the card. The rest is just about getting used to the camera; same with any camera, as none are perfect.

IMHO, the only way I could get better is to get a DSLR and prime Lens; neither of which I could afford or carry ;)

A bit late in the day, as the OP has decided on the Cannon, but I guess this thread might be read by some that haven't decided.

Hi Chris. The point of the thread was to help people choose which was right for them so I think it's great you give advantages for the Panny:t:

Yes I plumped for the SX50 and am very happy with it. My only slight concern is the robustness of the body. I've usually got a pair of Trinovids 8x42 slung around my neck which, as you probably know, are built like that brick we had to fetch from the bottom of the pool for our Duke of Ed awards (showing my age there;)). I try to be extra careful when I'm out and about so that they don't clash. There would be only one outcome.

The weight you mention for me is a major positive which would apply to all brands. EG. I was at Penclacwydd a couple of weeks ago. Said Trinovids were around my neck, rucksack was on my back, baby bag with nappies etc. over my shoulder, 2 year old son on my shoulders and SX50 over the other shoulder. That lot would have been a lot more difficult with a hulking great DSLR set up.

All the best,

Rich

If I'd not taken a few hundred thousand pics with the FZ series (FZ28 - FZ45) I'd probably have gone for the SX50 myself, Rich. I also wanted the faster (?) continuous AF of the FZ150.

It's amazing what these small cameras can do; especially if you accept we're not professional photographers selling our pictures. And a DSLR doesn't guarantee you'll get the shot you want, you still need luck and good light ;)

If I'd not taken a few hundred thousand pics with the FZ series (FZ28 - FZ45) I'd probably have gone for the SX50 myself, Rich. I also wanted the faster (?) continuous AF of the FZ150.

It's amazing what these small cameras can do; especially if you accept we're not professional photographers selling our pictures. And a DSLR doesn't guarantee you'll get the shot you want, you still need luck and good light ;)

Hi Chris
I just wanted to post to reinforce your comments. The flight shots you've achieved with the FZ150 are really very impressive. As you say, it is a case of getting to know how the camera responds and achieves its goal (along with the luck and good light, of course ;)). Your flight shots demonstrate what is possible and, I, for one, really appreciate you posting them in your gallery.
All the best
Hobbes

Hi Chris
I just wanted to post to reinforce your comments. The flight shots you've achieved with the FZ150 are really very impressive. As you say, it is a case of getting to know how the camera responds and achieves its goal (along with the luck and good light, of course ;)). Your flight shots demonstrate what is possible and, I, for one, really appreciate you posting them in your gallery.
All the best
Hobbes

Thanks Hobbes ;)

Yeah, luck, good light, stubbornness (I don't like quitting until I've got the pic I was after), and more luck helps me enormously. Also, you have to be prepared to take 100s of pictures that you'll delete later; which is the advantage of Digital over Film. I take between 500 and 1000 pictures in an hour walking around my local reservoirs; I might keep 50 of them ;)

(I've not noticed you posting recently; I hope all is well with you)

A few results after having a couple of months to play around with the SX50. I still think it's a great little compromise. When you've got your bins, two year old on your shoulders, all the paraphernalia that comes with a youngster the low weight is a boon:t: Still don't think I have the settings nailed though. Need to tinker a little bit more.:smoke:

Attachments

• IMG_1521.jpg
    IMG_1521.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1013.JPG
    IMG_1013.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    346.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0962.jpg
    IMG_0962.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 162
Hello my first post I found this thread from googling on what's the best superzoom and found this thread! This is exactly the place I want for choosing the superzoom I am planning to buy!

I am a Sony/Minolta DSLR user and I, like many people here are not actual photographers but use the DSLR mainly for family photos and birding purposes. I chose Sony because of the internal sensor stabilization capability. But then found it a little too heavy when hiking and trailing so switched to the NEX system with the LA-EA2 adapter to adapt my old Minolta 75-300mm lens making it equivalent to 450mm. Not bad combination but just not quite enough reach for birding. The most annoying thing is the constant overheating when recording videos even for just 8-10 mins of recording.

I haven't paid much attention on superzooms until the Panny FZ200 caught my attention with it's 25-600mm lens with constant F2.8 aperture! I know Panasonic has great reputation on video recording because of the GH1/2 and can record videos a lot longer than my NEX without over heating. So I was very excited and wanted to get it. But then found out there are actually a lot of choices in this superzoom area such as the Canon SX50, Nikon P520, Fuji HS50EXR, Sony HX300, etc. I have no idea which to get. The SX50 has great reputation here in this forum. Should I get the SX50?

My main purpose is birding and just general scenery and family shooting. Video recording for birds, wildlife, and family. Would for sure prefer flip-LCD monitor. By looking at their specs, they all meet my standards. But which gives the best IQ. Which has better dynamic range and sharpness? Those are the stuffs not mentioned on spec sheets. If anyone could shed some light on this area of the comparison that would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi Bruzzo. Welcome to BirdForum. Looks like you'll be using your camera similarly to how I use mine. I have the SX50. It takes great pictures of the family and wildlife. My niece has used (8) the video function and it looked pretty good on the laptop. It's simplicity itself to use and can be had for a very good price. I considered the Fuji and Panasonic but based my decision on cost, and the great results on the SX50 thread. I generally like Panasonic products so that was a contender and a mate has the HS30. This "feels" better made than the SX50. Take a look at some of the threads below. They certainly helped me make my mind up.

www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=240202
www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=252231
www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=254206
www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=239136
www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=210341
www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=213076

That lot should keep you busy for a while. Just to muddy the waters further Pansonic are releasing a new model - see post 78 and the Fuji X-S1 looks to be a decent camera.

Have fun with your choice and don't forget to post up some results.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back