• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon or Nikon (first DSLR kit)? (1 Viewer)

Lenses have much longer lives than camera bodies, so they should determine your choice.
Here in the US, there is an excellent lens rental service available that allows you to try at fairly modest cost before you splash out really big money. See the informative blog for details: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog
If there is a comparable service available in the UK, it might help your decision making.

Canon's range of budget telephoto lenses is slightly more diverse as it has a 400mm 5.6 lens that Nikon lacks, which is such a pity as this lens is very sharp and light. Nikon's 300mm f4 lens lacks VR but a replacement is apparently on the way. Nikon's latest 80-400mm is great though, especially paired with a D7100. But it costs quite a bit more and is not really uite a 'budget' lens. From what I've seen, its VR is great even in low-light conditions and lives up o the 4-stops billing.

Thank you etudiant and Hor Kee. It's looking like I need to save for a bit longer, lol. The possible 2x crop factor on the D7100 is extremely appealing for bird photography.
Thanks
Hobbes

The possible 2x crop factor on the D7100 is extremely appealing for bird photography.
Thanks
Hobbes

This is nothing that couldn't be done with any other camera/file later on the computer. Here the camera just doesn't save pixels that are outside of the 2x crop area -nothing gained as the number of pixels on the subject doesn't change.

Once in a while Sigma 400mm 5.6 APO lenses can be found 2nd hand on ebay. Their old style crank-shaft AF drive is a bit slow but these are optically great lenses that sometimes go for $100-200. The ones with Nikon mounts will work on all Nikons with built in AF-motor (D50, D70, D200, D300, D7000, etc.), but the ones with Canon mounts have issues with the electronics.

Starting from scratch my first concern would be the objectives that I could obtain new or 2nd hand and then get a matching camera body. Even for Sony once in a while compatible long Minolta lenses can be found 2nd hand for decent money, otherwise I would stick with either Canon or Nikon ......

Apologies for starting a thread to reference another thread but here is my dilemma/question re: Canon v Nikon:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=269705

Many thanks
Hobbes

Hobbes
If you let you know your budget, experiences...that will be better
For starters..all start with an APSC cameras with a great zoom
Nikon d7100 + 80-400 afs
Canon 7D/70D + 70-300L/100-400L

At this moment, Nikon offers better quality because of its
1. better peorformance at lower ISO
2. higher pixel count
3. better cropping capability
4. better AF...
5. Newer lens with same optical quality and better zooming mechanism.

You can also have a less expensive d5300 and you can use it with Tamron 150-600.

However, ultimate quality lenses are all primes
Nikon: 300 F4,
Canon: 300 F4 IS, 400 F5.6
plus all other prime supertelephotos.
If you aim is for eventually using these skyhigh price primes, Canon offer better choice in terms of availability, price and weight

Hobbes. You need to consider ergonomics as well. Once you start on a path and buy a few bits unless you don't mind the cost of changing you'll be stuck. When I bought my 1st dslr ( used contax when shooting 35mm so no digital path) the thing that swung it was ergonomics. The Nikon body and button layout was to me more natural than the canon and irrespective of performance I couldn't have worked with the canon. Think of it as a test drive in a car. You want to be comfortable and that all controls are at you fingertips. This decision I've never regretted.
To be frank which ever you buy it'll perform, there is nothing to choose between the 2 manufactures and I get really bored with people who try to convince me otherwise. And rest assured that what one may have today over the other will swing back and forth over the years.
Set your budget and go and try before you buy. There are shops that have a great range of warranted used bodies and lenses.
If you are going to spend serious money long term. My final comment would be to compare the primes and pro zooms such as the 200-400, 300, 400, 500, 600 and 800 you'll be surprised at how much more expensive Canon are compared with Nikon. This could be a deciding factor.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back