• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hide building material at Poundstretcher (1 Viewer)

mike from ebbw

I picked up some of that brushwood screening from Poundstretcher yesterday.It was £8.99 and is 12` x 3`.I knocked up a hide this morning with my 8 year old daughter (aspiring birder) in just over an hour.Brilliant stuff and a bargain at that price.It has a groundsheet roof but still needs some bracken/leaves etc to camo it up a bit more.What do you think?

Attachments

• hide.jpg
    hide.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 422
  • hide2.jpg
    hide2.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 373
Thats fantastic value and looks great and will do the job fine. When you see the costs of some of these hides that are avalable,little more than a single skin dome tent extended upwards by a foot or so.with a camo cover. I tend to think some of these birding suppliers are just having a laugh at our expence .Nice one Mike looks like you have a hide and saved a hundred and seventy quid . Good watching to you bro.

I'm not quite so mean|;| |:d| , but I too baulked at the commercial ones. For much of my outdoor photography gear I use fishing tackle shops, in this case a 50" tilting 'brolly and a sheet of cammy leaf skrim. Advantage?, like the commercial ones, it's portable!|=)| . As an ex-fisherman I only had to buy the cammy......

Denis.

Well done and it looks good too! (well, apart from the plastic roof ;) ) I think I'll make one too. Thanks for the tip.

Joanne

joannechattaway said:
Well done and it looks good too! (well, apart from the plastic roof ;) ) I think I'll make one too. Thanks for the tip.

Joanne
I admit the roof isnt the most attractive part but with a load of leaves on it and a net to keep them there it should be OK.Plus it is waterproof (ideal as I live in Wales).

I managed to get some Realtree material(12ftx5ft) for $12.99 for my mobile hide,using some old rodrests for extending supports,jobs a good un!!!

Great tip

DenisG said:
I'm not quite so mean|;| |:d| , but I too baulked at the commercial ones. For much of my outdoor photography gear I use fishing tackle shops, in this case a 50" tilting 'brolly and a sheet of cammy leaf skrim. Advantage?, like the commercial ones, it's portable!|=)| . As an ex-fisherman I only had to buy the cammy......

Denis.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't fished in a few years but have a large umbrella with sides gathering dust. I was going to build a hide to try for closer photos of some buzzards I have been watching. You have saved me a small fortune as now all I need is the camo.

John.

mike from ebbw said:
I picked up some of that brushwood screening from Poundstretcher yesterday.It was £8.99 and is 12` x 3`.I knocked up a hide this morning with my 8 year old daughter (aspiring birder) in just over an hour.Brilliant stuff and a bargain at that price.It has a groundsheet roof but still needs some bracken/leaves etc to camo it up a bit more.What do you think?

Good stuff Mike,

Nice to see you are carrying on with the feeder project - I take it that it is not over by me anymore? The litter over there at the moment is terrible - I have called the council to see if they can do a litter pick there but not holding out much hope.

i have finally managed to get down to the feeding station and mike has done a superb job on the hide. The screening works really well and his bit of dry stone walling around the base really makes it look good.

Sorry for resurrecting another old thread (having found this site and now finding some excellent threads) but can I ask how does one obtain permission to erect these hides on land...? Do you ask the owner, how do you know who the owner is...?

Would love to know if there are any of these hides local to where I live - anyone fancy sharing locations...?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back