• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (27 Viewers)

Too busy to get out and do much birding this weekend, fortunately the easterlies are starting again about wednesday. Possible Lapland flyover tonight but not much else, v quiet.

Why do I always choose the wrong weeks to go to sea?

E Yorks Flamborough Head 12:15
Two juvenile Long-tailed Skua past by early afternoon; also 4 Pomarine Skuas, 185 Sooty Shearwaters, 51 Manx Shearwaters, Red-necked Grebe, 5 Brent Geese, Great Northern Diver and 40 Great Skuas

Cheers, the cruise count not as big but considerably more impressive than last weeks. Will they get a Bonellis on land?

E Yorks Bridlington RSPB Skua Cruise 09:30
16 Sooty Shearwater , 2 Manx Shearwater 2, probable Balearic Shearwater, 2 Great Skua, Arctic Skua

Took another trip out to Langsett today to check on the Black Redstarts ..

There is still one bird there at the moment, it is of course possible that the second bird may still be around but I can only claim one bird for today.

Took another trip out to Langsett today to check on the Black Redstarts ..

There is still one bird there at the moment, it is of course possible that the second bird may still be around but I can only claim one bird for today.

Hi Dave

I went up late afternoon and I could only say 1 bird was present, but its very possible. as you say, that the 2nd bird is still there. It was a little breezy so the other bird may have been staying on the ground behind the various walls.

Cheers to Pete for the map, it was spot on.

curlew sand at old moor today, is probably the most unusual of the things there.

the water on the scrape is very low, as they're buggering about with it again.

did get a bit excited oevr a possible buff breasted sand but decided it was a female ruff in the end, it flatly refused to do anything but stick it's bum in the air for ages.

as for blackredstarts at langsett can someone pm me the details please, it would be a lifer for me and i drive past there reguarly.

curlew sand at old moor today, is probably the most unusual of the things there.

the water on the scrape is very low, as they're buggering about with it again.

did get a bit excited oevr a possible buff breasted sand but decided it was a female ruff in the end, it flatly refused to do anything but stick it's bum in the air for ages.

as for blackredstarts at langsett can someone pm me the details please, it would be a lifer for me and i drive past there reguarly.

Grid Ref for Blackstarts is SE 185:009 It/they are hanging around the farm building which is largely constructed of red painted corrugated sheeting. My last view of one was to the left of the building on a wall in front of a small wood. Also spotted flycatchers too.

Come on Jim.... what's there that we didn't get...arctic skua and sooty shears... you can't count probables cos they probably ain't.
Hardly considerably more impressive ;)

Cheers, the cruise count not as big but considerably more impressive than last weeks. Will they get a Bonellis on land?

E Yorks Bridlington RSPB Skua Cruise 09:30
16 Sooty Shearwater , 2 Manx Shearwater 2, probable Balearic Shearwater, 2 Great Skua, Arctic Skua

well I should be in yorkshire next sunday, so only a few days to go, looking forward to it, after not being able to get on the previous visits. Hoping to get to spurn as it would be my first time there. But don't know where we will be visiting yet. If I get to do a seawatch, hoping to nail my 1st Long tailed skua.

Well as predicted I didn't get too much birding in this weekend, a birthday yesterday meant we were toboganning in Cas and then lounging around. This morning was a 3-0 win against Barugh U11's Hurrah!

Got home and saw Pugneys was worth a visit so nipped down for a couple of hours ...

Attachments

• IMG_0723_1.JPG
    IMG_0723_1.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1146_1.JPG
    IMG_1146_1.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Innit freakin marvellous.....where was I today - taking eldest son back to Uni in Preston and a bloody good bird turns up almost on my doorstep!
Well as predicted I didn't get too much birding in this weekend, a birthday yesterday meant we were toboganning in Cas and then lounging around. This morning was a 3-0 win against Barugh U11's Hurrah!

Got home and saw Pugneys was worth a visit so nipped down for a couple of hours ...

Great photos indeed!

Had to re-check the location when I saw the photos tho! Thought you must have been on another RSPB cruise.

The mammal trapping session at Filey CP produced many Bank Voles and Wood Mice this morning. The highlight was a Common Shrew.

A Ruff and Bar-tailed Godwit were noted amongst the Oystercatchers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back