• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First time in Finland (work) Oulu, Tampere, Pori + Helsinki (1 Viewer)

Hi there,

I'm going on a work trip next week, I won't get much time to myself and will be reliant on my legs (no car). Are there any birds in particular I can look out for in those areas or any tips regarding those areas in particular? Helsinki I was thinking I might go to the botanical garden grounds and it looks to have quite a lot of parkland in the city.

Also not really a birding question but one of the days I am in Finland is 1st Nov which I read somewhere is a national holiday for All Saints Day - is that true? Will parks stll be open and public transport running does anyone know?

Thanks!

Worth checking the coast around Helsinki for ducks. The parks in Helsinki are good for Hawfinch and Lesser Pecker. Always chance of an owl. The coast near Pori is good for waders, but I think it will be tricky without a car.

Hi there,

I'm going on a work trip next week, I won't get much time to myself and will be reliant on my legs (no car). Are there any birds in particular I can look out for in those areas or any tips regarding those areas in particular? Helsinki I was thinking I might go to the botanical garden grounds and it looks to have quite a lot of parkland in the city.

Also not really a birding question but one of the days I am in Finland is 1st Nov which I read somewhere is a national holiday for All Saints Day - is that true? Will parks stll be open and public transport running does anyone know?

Thanks!

Hello,

Parks are always open in Helsinki, and you should not worry about public transport, it works allright.
Regarding birds, things are getting pretty quiet, in the city center you'll mostly see great and blue tits, some "normal" gulls, magpies, hooded crows.
I think the best option in Helsinki is to go to Vikki area, in there you will still see lots of ducks, geese, and with options for raptors (golden eagle if you're very lucky).
See more info here: http://www.gardenia-helsinki.fi/viikkinature/

Hi!

As Ibaia said not that much to see during this time of year but there's always something to see in Viikki, Helsinki or Laajalahti in Espoo. Both are Large areas with bird watching towers. Also nice places are Seurasaari and Lauttasaari islands. All places are accessible easy with public trasportation. In the center Helsinki you might also have a look at Kaisaniemi park (botanical Garden) beside the Railway Station or Kaivopuisto park in the south cape of Helsinki center.

At the moment there are some Nuthatches in Seurasaari at least. A look to the sky might provide even a Golden Eagle or a Rough-legged Buzzard. Owls are possible but hard to find. One Ural Owl has been around Lauttasaari within the last days.

Have a nice trip!

Unfortunately I don't have much knowledge about the other places than Helsinki surroundings but generally seashores and lakes are worth looking. In Pori at least Yyteri sand shores are good but a bit away from the town. Tampere has some big lakes. There has also been a big invasion of Pomarine Skuas this year, so it is not impossible to even see those on the big lakes or seashores. Near Oulu the best place is Liminganlahti but again bit further away from town.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back