• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unboxing the Habicht 8x30 (5 Viewers)

Very nice article, Oetzi. I think you should post a link in the German forum as well, there's quite a bit of interest in the Habicht there.

BTW, I also think the Habicht has better optics than the SV 8x32. The SV is a better binocular for birding because of the focuser, but the optics of the Habicht are better in almost every respect (except edge sharpness). The SV 8x32, even though still a very nice binocular, is IMO clearly the weakest of the Svarovision line.

Hermann

Last edited:
I am still loving the 7x42 Habicht that I recently purchased. It pleases just as much, and maybe more in certain aspects as the 8x30 Habicht that I used to own. I recently also picked up a 7x42 SLC NEU that is also a wonderful bin. It is robust ( HEAVY - but well balanced); has a huge flat FOV; optics are sharp and colors are very pleasing. The Habicht 7x42 is optically a bit sharper than the SLC NEU; but not by much. Even though they are both 7x42 Swarovski's - they do not duplicate one another, because each has different attributes.

I used to own the 8x32 SV and the 8x30 Habicht, and I agree with comments above and the review. Although the SV may be the better all around all purpose bin, the optics in the Habicht are crisper; sharper to my eyes; and they to my eyes provide a more relaxing, easy, pleasing view. Interestingly I do not see as much of that contrast as far as easy pleasing view between the 7x42 Habicht and the 7x42 SLC NEU. They both are very relaxing and pleasing. May be because both are 7x and the SLC NEU, even though it has a very flat, sharp to edge view- it does not have the flat lens Swarovision technology.

Here is a impressions/ review thread that I did and posted on BF a couple years ago between the 8x32 SV and the 8x30 Habicht:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=251846

Last edited:
A reader of my article asked me about the EII.
I think they are very different in one aspect. The EII is much more pleasing to the eyes in very bright light. The Habicht is brutally bright and contrasty, it hurts my eyes. The EII feels more mellow.

Birding just today, I noticed that the very late model Swedish military IF 8x30 Habicht to be slightly sharper and brighter than my equivalent standard 8x30 Habicht.

Is this a coincidence...just an on the day thing....or is there superiority in the IF design?

Rathaus

I need to tour the junk shops again.

Just taken delivery of a new 8x30 with its stupid bag. The binoculars were just stunning - grey overcast and drizzle - immediate crisp image, definitely has the zing factor. Some of my porros have thick extendable eye cups that do not fit my deeply set eye sockets (I have built in lens hoods!), but these seem pefect. The stiffer focussing is about the same as another waterproof porro I use so it is not a problem.

My plan was to use a Jenoptem case for them, however they are not a comfortable fit with the rainguard and the Swaro neck strap - so its back to the junk shops.

Anyway this unrepresentative Birder will be out with representative birders tommorrow seeing how they work in the real world.

Main reason for purchase - they are meant to be tougher than my EIIs and not so boring, view wise, as my day to day roofs. In addition I can hold them steadier than the roofs (and for that matter the 8x EII ).

With the more rigid IF focussing of the military bins tried by Rathaus it should be possible to extract the maximum performance from a really good pair of eyepieces, perhaps Swarovski select the really best for these bins.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back