• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's Your Feelings on the Bino Style Like the Nikon Travelite and Others? (1 Viewer)

MUHerd

Hey all.

It's me again. I apologize for asking so many questions. I'm trying to learn as best I can. I just hate having to ask so many questions and take up so much of your time.

Ok, I'd like to know what you all think of the style of binocular that looks like a box, like the Nikon Travelite.
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/sportoptics/binoculars/compact/travel-vi_25/index.htm

I notice many of the bino companies make models like this. Years ago I picked up a set of Bushnell binos like this for use when I would go to the shooting range to check my targets. I know, they weren't much, but they did what I asked of them.
I'm just wondering if any of these in an 8X would be worth looking at. Since I am looking for an 8X to go with my 10X, I thought I'd ask and make sure I'm not overlooking something that would work for me.

Do any of these binos in this style have good optics in them? Which one of the many models like this in 8X would you consider the best? I guess it would be better to ask it this way, if you were going to buy a set like these in 8X, which one would you get and why?

Thank you again for your time and willingness to help me. I won't ask any more questions after this one for a while.

Have a great weekend!

Larry

They are reverse porro, think of the classic dog-leg binocular but reversed. As they use porro prisms it is cheaper to make good ones than it is to make good roof prism binoculars. So if you are looking at the budget, sub £($)100, bracket then you will get a better image with a porro than a roof. The reverse porro design does make then whole package more compact but you do loose the more pronounced 3D effect you get with classic porros. Plus it doesn't work if you have large objectives as it pushes the eyepieces too far apart.

At prices above this then most manufacturers don't offer porros at all, let alone reverse porros.

Mono is right. The reverse porro design might reduce the 3D effect but it also reduces the cross-eyed effect of having a really small close-focusing distance, hence this arrangement is used in Pentax's Papilio binos.

Lee

What about these binos in 8X? Are those Pentax Papillos still a really good choice when they go up to 8X?

I know several companies make these types of binos. Do you all think that the Pentax Papillo is the best choice out of all of them at 8X?

Thanks again guys and gals.

Larry

Larry,

The Papillos are unique for close up work. The previous version I decided wouldn't work as a birding binocular but I've not seen the latest incarnation so can't comment.

It's some years since I had a good look at inexpensive compact roofs and reverse porros but out of the twenty or so I tried over one weekend the reverse porros took the top four places in my book. The Nikon Travelite was the only contender on that list that was water resistant though. I actually preferred the cheaper Olympus PCI 8x25 but my top spot was the Bushnnell Elite 7x26 which I owned for several years. It was the most expensive on that list and I thought it was the best of that bunch optically, but it was the practical advantage of a slightly larger exit pupil and fairly generous eye relief that was the decider for me. Ultimately it was effectively relaced with a waterproof 7x36 roof which would fit in the same sized jacket pocket.

There are a few more options to choose from these days. I'm sure the reverse porros would still offer the best bang for your buck, but I suspect the competition from the roofs is getting closer.

David

Last edited:
The Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio is a favorite of mine for butterflies, but not for birding. I've used the B&L/Bushnell 7x26 Custom a lot in the past but I think it is overpriced for what you get these days. There are plenty of good 8x reverse porros, but one limitation of the lot is narrow field of view. For birding and general use, I think I'd go with the tried and true Nikon 8x25 Prostaff ATB. It is nicely compact, has good optics, is waterproof, has good close focus, good eye relief, and only costs $125.

--AP

What about these binos in 8X? Are those Pentax Papillos still a really good choice when they go up to 8X?

I know several companies make these types of binos. Do you all think that the Pentax Papillo is the best choice out of all of them at 8X?

Thanks again guys and gals.

Larry

I reviewed a 6.5x and liked it so much, I bought one myself. For its intended close-up-purpose, 6.5x gives a larger FOV and less wobble. A Papillo is great up close, but so-so in the distance. I am still on the look-out for a compact Porro (for reasons given above) with low magnification to carry around. Sadly these dont seem to exist. So I use my Papillo and have no regret.

The Nikon Travelite 8x has the advantage of being very cheap, but for a 8x compact reverse porro I would rather spend more money and get the Kite Compact 8x23, for example.

Last edited:
...The Nikon Travelite 8x has the advantage of being very cheap, but for a 8x compact reverse porro I would rather spend more money and get the Kite Compact 8x23, for example.

The Kite 8x23 has good FOV but unusable eye-relief for glasses wearers. I wouldn't go with the Nikon 8x25 Travelite either--FOV is extremely narrow, eye-relief is too short, close focus is poor, and not waterproof. Hence my recommendation of Nikon 8x25 Prostaff ATB. It is quite good all around.

--AP

Hey all.

It's me again. I apologize for asking so many questions. I'm trying to learn as best I can. I just hate having to ask so many questions and take up so much of your time.

Thank you again for your time and willingness to help me. I won't ask any more questions after this one for a while.
Larry

Larry ....... There is nothing to apologize for. Helping other people is one of the reasons the forum is here. If we did not like discussing binoculars we would not be participants in this sub forum.

The beauty of forums is if someone does not like the topic they can skip it or scroll right on by.

Your questions have been good ones and have brought up some good discussion. Keep on asking. It has been kind of slow around here anyway!

Last edited:
Two reverse porros that I used ro own and liked a lot were the Opticron Taiga 8x25 (great optics, not waterproof), and the Vortex Vanquish 8x26 (waterproof, possibly slight yellow cast). Both were inexpensive.

I had the 10x25 Travelite when I first got involved in astronomy-for the sky I found them useless;
but ok fairer terrestrial. 10x is too high for these.
I really like my 6.5 papillose though.

edj

Cory and I used to refer to the Travelites as: "'Nocklars on the half-shell" because you had to pry yourself inside.

Bill

Olympus PCI 8x25 are still my favourite reverse porros. Often confused with the vastly inferior DPCI 8x21, Olympuses fault for similar naming. They also do zoom versions which are typical zoom bins so can be ignored.

Full multi-coating, fov actual 6 deg. apparent 48 deg, eye relief 16.5 mm, close focus 2.5m, weight 280 g.

Not waterproof, mine are very sharp.

I owned the Nikon Travelite EX 8x25 which are waterproof, but my copy had excessive focus backlash so they went. Slightly more expensive than the Olys but not enough to matter. In optical performance I also preferred the Olys but you can live with either.

Back in the days when the PCI series was newer it got very good reviews.

I do own Papiliio 6.5 mk I and II but only really use them for close up they feel bulkier and more fragile and cost more.

No easy answers

Olympus PCI 8x25 are still my favourite reverse porros...

I've never owned them, but I've tried them many times over the years and I agree they are superb, with good specs and performance. They are a great value too. Unfortunately, they see to be leaving the market, at least in the USA. Still available for ~$80, but probably not for long. Will they be replaced with an update, as in the past?

--AP

The Travelite VI series is the latest in a long line of reverse porro prism binoculars from Nikon. It's an easy to use and carry design that works well for most daytime outdoor activities. An 8x25 will give a reasonable exit pupil and minimize shake from a small binocular. The compact design comes with a tradeoff in a 5.6 degree fov.

Last edited:
The OLympus PCI 8x25 seems hard to find info in. Nothing on their site, but they have several others similar in color and different magnifications.

As I said, I got a set of Bushnell from the discount seller that gets his stuff from Walmart returns and refurb stuff. I hit them cause they were like $15 about 10 years ago. They are the Bushnell Powerview 7-15x25. I fully admit that my eyes aren't accustomed to the ALPHA binos you guys and gals use. I'm down in the GAMMA or DELTA region.

Anyway, these cheapo Bushnell are not bad when you use them in nice, bright beautiful days. I put them on 8X or do and use them for finding birds in the back yard. I also carry them in my car. Last week I got them out and got my 10x Pentax out and I sat with my Mom in the yard and I was showing her birds to look at. She had never ever done that before and I thought it was so cool to do. That was the day that I found out I would have to get an 8X set if I was going to do much Birding. It was just too hard to find the bird I knew was there with my 10X. I was all over the place but ended up finding a gorgeous male cardinal. My LORD, his plumage was just breathtaking. It was the first bird I had ever specifically went to try and find with binos. I loved it. Now the next one I am trying to watch is a BlueJay. He(or she) comes in the yard all the time but I've only caught slight glimpses of him before. I love the colors on that bird too.

Before now I never really cared about the beauty of birds. Strange for a guy that's got a zoology degree huh?

So...that's why I am looking for inexpensive 8X right now. I thought I wouldn't really need an 8X until later on, that my Pentax 10X would carry me until I had enough saved up to get something like an 8x32 ZEISS Terra ED. But since seeing that Cardinal, I knew I'd have to get them sooner, before I had the chance to save up the needed funds for a good set.

That's the dilemma I'm in now. An 8X for $150 or less.

Advice or suggestions you care to add? I can use them.

Thank you all again for all your help.

Larry

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back