• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EII 8X30s arrived yesterday, wow. (1 Viewer)

Canuck Bob

I received my new used binos yesterday. My first deal with BF member and my first deal from Europe. The seller was a true honest gentleman named here as well respected Sancho. The binos arrived very well packed and the dealings were a pleasure. The binos arrived in better than described condition, BNIB by my amateur evaluation. He assured me you are all gentlemen and trustworthy around here by the way.

The search started for a 6X30 and that lead to the Kowa, Leupold, and clones. Then the upgrade to the MC E and finally to the EII. I'm very satisfied with this progression. I'm a porro guy by the way.

Here is my review so far. Really nice and well built binoculars. The view qualifies for a wow!

I take back all the ignorant comments I thought about alpha bino buyers and reviewers, lol. If these are real good I now understand the desire for better or best, horses for courses.

Last edited:
I received my new used binos yesterday. My first deal with BF member and my first deal from Europe. The seller was a true honest gentleman named here as well respected Sancho. The binos arrived very well packed and the dealings were a pleasure. The binos arrived in better than described condition, BNIB by my amateur evaluation. He assured me you are all gentlemen and trustworthy around here by the way.

The search started for a 6X30 and that lead to the Kowa, Leupold, and clones. Then the upgrade to the MC E and finally to the EII. I'm very satisfied with this progression. I'm a porro guy by the way.

Here is my review so far. Really nice and well built binoculars. The view qualifies for a wow!

I take back all the ignorant comments I thought about alpha bino buyers and reviewers, lol.
The Nikon EII 8x30's and the Nikon 8x32 SE's are without a doubt two of the best porro prism birding binoculars made.

.... He assured me you are all gentlemen and trustworthy around here by the way.

I take back all the ignorant comments I thought about alpha bino buyers and reviewers, lol. If these are real good I now understand the desire for better or best, horses for courses.

Hello Bob,

I hope that you may use your newly acquired binocular for good birding and nature observation.

Yes, using a superior binocular is quite rewarding. I could quibble about the eye relief but your EII one of the best Porro binoculars made in recent years, giving a not only agreat view for the price but simply a great view.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Hi,

have fun with your E2 - I like mine a lot and these or the SE 10x42 (depending on expected birds) are my most used bins.

Joachim

Canuck Bob, sounds like you really scored from a great seller!

I was considering an E2 for those times when not wearing glasses. Which would be the more desirable seller, one of the Japan based eBay sellers, or Clifton Cameras in the UK? The latter has it listed at £379, although I'm not sure if that includes VAT, that would be deducted at checkout.

I was considering an E2 for those times when not wearing glasses. Which would be the more desirable seller, one of the Japan based eBay sellers, or Clifton Cameras in the UK? The latter has it listed at £379, although I'm not sure if that includes VAT, that would be deducted at checkout.

I'm not qualified to answer the questions regarding best seller. My research did indicate both methods were successful and easy. The Amazon.ca deal for the delivery was the only one I took seriously, too pricey, used for me. I'm an Ebay member but rarely use them to be honest. One heads up though the exchange was a bit wanky on Amazon.ca resulting in an exchange swap favouring the buyer. However I have no idea how complicated things would be. Borders, exchanges, duties, and brokerage fees always seem to add unexpected costs. I always try and ship by national postal systems. Many couriers hammer Canadians with steep brokerage fees.

Also they are grey market options not regionally approved by Nikon I think. This can affect warranty. A quality clean, lube, and adjust would cost around a 100 bucks for you. I budgeted 130C for me. grey market sellers do offer a year of coverage. be diligent in your research.

I'm not qualified to answer the questions regarding best seller. My research did indicate both methods were successful and easy. The Amazon.ca deal for the delivery was the only one I took seriously, too pricey, used for me. I'm an Ebay member but rarely use them to be honest. One heads up though the exchange was a bit wanky on Amazon.ca resulting in an exchange swap favouring the buyer. However I have no idea how complicated things would be. Borders, exchanges, duties, and brokerage fees always seem to add unexpected costs. I always try and ship by national postal systems. Many couriers hammer Canadians with steep brokerage fees.

Also they are grey market options not regionally approved by Nikon I think. This can affect warranty. A quality clean, lube, and adjust would cost around a 100 bucks for you. I budgeted 130C for me. grey market sellers do offer a year of coverage. be diligent in your research.

Thanks. As I'm not in a rush my first option is to wait till another mint condition E2 comes on the market. I favor the idea however, of supporting a good reliable shop such as Clifton.

I wish the EIIs had better eye-relief. The view through them was very, very pleasing - if not CA free as I prefer - and the price, even brand-new, is phenomenal.

I wish the EIIs had better eye-relief. The view through them was very, very pleasing - if not CA free as I prefer - and the price, even brand-new, is phenomenal.

It is early but simple testing today suggests I see the whole FOV with glasses and no glasses of course. The view is easier with the glasses off. Even with eye problems the image is incredible. An extra mm or two would be perfect.

The value makes this a non-issue.

Hi pigmode,

I put an E2 up for sale a few days ago on the Dutch site Marktplaats (kind of auction site without the strict auction regulations). This is the address: http://www.marktplaats.nl. Search for Nikon 8x30 E2

As the Dutch are reluctant to buy Nikon binoculars because Nikon service is terrible in our country, my E2 will probably go onto eBay anyway.

Condition is indistinguishable from new, perfect optics etc. etc.

If you're interested, I'm happy to ship abroad. I'm a BF member since 2004, check my posts.

Renze

Last edited:

I bought my 8x30 EII from Clifton Cameras five or six years ago. The price includes VAT. I suggest you contact them to find out about deducting the VAT.

Graham

After several years of wanting a pair, I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of 8x30s for $370 from Amazon, and they arrived this afternoon. I regret not buying these a lot sooner. The view is just superb and I really like the unique weight balance and ergonomics of the stubby porro shape. In contrast to the Conquest HD, the focusing is a bit slower but it also feels a bit smoother. Collimation's dead-on, as far as I can tell, and colors feel quite rich, even in dark shadow in a thick conifer forest (I've owned the Conquest HD and 8x32 SE in the past, but no longer have them for a direct comparison). Roof and reverse-porro binos have been my most recent glasses, and so I was pleased to have the 3-D view of the porros again. Can't recommend these highly enough.

Can't recommend these highly enough.
I agree. Even where and when they shouldn't suit me (and, in reality, don't) I just can't go past how good they are. I wouldn't use my EII 8x30s in the field, because of some of the problems I have with them (which others might well not have) but from my balcony, with time to work with them, they are one of my very favourites. Even though they shouldn't be. They're worth the extra effort.

...Mike

I received my new used binos yesterday. My first deal with BF member and my first deal from Europe. The seller was a true honest gentleman named here as well respected Sancho.

Several years ago I bought an EII 8x30 from Sancho, too. As you say, 100% trustworthy.

Congratulations and welcome the the EII 8x30 club. It is a fine binocular for the money. The very wide clear views make daytime wildlife observation a pleasure. I've also enjoyed the wide field for star gazing.

Several years ago I bought an EII 8x30 from Sancho, too. As you say, 100% trustworthy.

I hope you're still enjoying them Oetzi! I think I've bought and then sold four EII's over the years! Why did I sell them? Too many binoculars. Well I eventually got rid of everything, and was down to just two...the EII and the SE. I decided to keep only one, and would have been just as happy with either. I suppose I kept the SE because it's not made anymore. The EII has a much easier, relaxed view though.:t:

Mine have previously seen too little use, but now that I've found a contact lens that suits me perfectly, things have changed.
I made a special pair of spectacles for the E II, but don't really feel comfortable with the setup.
I did rather use another binocular and my regular spectacles. Not so now. When the weather allows, the E II is my preferred tool of trade.

//L

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back