• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagles and Warblers for ID 19 Feb 2018 - India (1 Viewer)

wingsnwilds

Some photos are very unclear almost to the point to not being identifiable.
But still posting with the hopes that some expert eye might catch some important detail which is enough for the ID.
All birds are from Pune, India.

For the 2nd pic I'm confused between Lesser whitethroat and orphean warbler.

Attachments

• DSC_2132.JPG
    DSC_2132.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_2170.JPG
    DSC_2170.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_2218.JPG
    DSC_2218.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_2226.JPG
    DSC_2226.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_2100.JPG
    DSC_2100.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 120
Am unsure as to the Aquila in image 1, my gut feeling+ is that image 2, is a Lesser Whitethroat and possibly of the C.halimodendri taxon?, and noting that images 3-4 look like the same bird, with what would appear to have a long 7th finger, albeit that to my eye the 1st finger has yet to grow through? If that is the case...then Spotted Eagle might be a candidate? As for the last image, am at a complete loss, however if you hang on in, I'm sure that wiser counsels will chip in.

Cheers

Last picture might be a Booted Warbler? The head is in the shade thus the cap possibly appears darker. It has a rather prominent supercilium and isn't the outer tailfeather somewhat paler than the rest? The eagles on pic 3-4 look more like Steppe/Tawny to me, but far from sure.

I've been puzzling over no. 5 for some time now. It could be a Booted, but there are two things I don't like - the heavy loral/eye stripe and the long rather spiky-looking tail. I briefly considered Blyth's Reed but the UTCs are too short. i'm not sure what else it could be.

I think I agree with Ken that no.2 is probably Lesser Whitethroat. The bill doesn't look hefty enough even from this angle. In my experience Eastern Orphean looks appreciably larger in the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back