• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

digiscoping with Panasonic FZ 20 (1 Viewer)

Runcis

Hi everybody!
I am newbie in digiscoping.
I would like to get „right” equipment for the digiscoping with Panasonic Lumix FZ 20.
Is there anyone who has experience with FZ 20 on digiscoping?
I would be very appreciating for any advice.
Thanks!
Aivars

Runcis said:
Hi everybody!
I am newbie in digiscoping.
I would like to get „right” equipment for the digiscoping with Panasonic Lumix FZ 20.
Is there anyone who has experience with FZ 20 on digiscoping?
I would be very appreciating for any advice.
Thanks!
Aivars
Welcome to Birdforum,Runcis. The fz20 is not a good choice for digiscoping.

Henry B said:
Welcome to Birdforum,Runcis. The fz20 is not a good choice for digiscoping.
Thank You for reply, Henry!

Where is the problem with FZ 20? Lens diameter?
Which digicam is good enough for digiscoping?
I red a lot opinions that Nikon Cool Pix is good, but don’t understand why.

Yes, the main problem with the FZ20 is the lens diameter. I have tried it but the vignetting was too much. Only a central crop of the image was useable so you could not fill the frame with the subject

Ken

Same here. I have the FZ20 as well, but use it on it's own and with teleconverters added for a bit more reach. The combination is good for 20-25' max depending on the size of the bird.

It's not much use for digiscoping due to the wide lens and high power zoom. Vignetting is the main problem. You have to zoom up to 6-7x zoom to remove vignetting but then the magnification is too much for the optics laeding to very soft images.

A small compact digital camera is the ideal for digiscoping. The likes of the Nikon CP4500 design was ideal for it's small diamter lens and internally operating zoom so the lens can be mounted close to the eyepiece. Now it's discontinued other brands are taking the digiscoping lead not always as controllable but certainly a lot faster operating systems. There are several suitable brands but the Canon A95 is very popular as well as the Olympus C7070 both giving very good results as does the Kyocera SL400.

OK, guys, thanks for advice!
Just another question: which scope from medium price range is good enough for beginner in digiscoping? The offer is really large, a lot of brands - and it’s very easy to make wrong choice :)))

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back