• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attracting Robins (1 Viewer)

Hello. I have been cultivating mealworms for a couple of years now for my ducks enjoyment. But after reading on this forum that Robins like them I wanted to share the bounty with them as well. I also have a big bin of red wigglers that I'm sure they would enjoy.

How's the best way to get them to come to a feeder, but I guess more specifically what kind of feeder? I built a small platform that holds a dish (for the worms) and enough room for landing. I nailed this to a tree very close to the bath that I see the Robins come to.

I read in one post a suggestion of just putting a dish on the deck railing. That is out of the question...I have too many cats.

The worms have been disappearing, but up until yesterday I never saw who took them. I camped out at a fair distance with bino's and a large coffee and was rewarded with seeing Blackcaps busily stealing the worms, but no sign of a Robin. Can anyone suggest a more Robin friendly approach? There are a lot of them around, but they never come to any of my feeders. Maybe they don't like what's on the menu. ;)

Thanks,
Corinne

Hi Corinne,

The best way i find to feed the robins is to turn up some soil or compost and the robins just come right up next to me and feed on the grubs and worms.

Hi Corrine. Seeing as you're posting from Canada you threw me for a minute by mentioning Blackcaps alongside Robins, but I guess you mean Black-capped Chickadees! Maybe we also need to be careful about confusing the European Robin with the American one. Ours are indeed famously partial to mealworms and very bold with it, as Graham mentions, but his advice still applies. The nearest relative we have to your American Robin is our Blackbird and they are mainly ground feeders (at least in my backyard they are). I'd put the mealworms on the grass or maybe in a border.

Edit: Sorry, I missed your mention of cats. In view of that, you'd do better to put the mealworms on a birdtable and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your replies. Having them come so close and feed while you are digging must be a real treat. I've never seen one of these guys over here be that bold!! And yes, I did mean the black-capped chickadees....sorry, I should have clarified. I am going to try putting some of the worms in a small container on the ground and see if they take them.

My dog chases most birds up into the trees out of harms way from the cats and also, the cats are locked up at night until I let them out, so....if the guests come to the worms early enough they should all be gone. And if not by Robins, well... whatever enjoys them is okay by me.

I'll give it a try....thanks again
Corinne

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back