• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2013 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

JCL

Kicking off the annual thread now in the vain hope that someone has seen something (anything) sprouting above ground. Anyone else hoping for a second consecutive wet spring to raise hopes that Ghostly Vision might have some wonderful news for us at some point in the summer?

Found several Early-purple rosettes in a copse this morning. Only basal leaves, no sign of any stem leaves.

Rog.

So far, this is one of the latest springs I've ever seen - Snowdrops are still to be found in good condition and many Daffs have yet to flower! I suspect we may have a longer wait than usual to see the first orchids...

Mike

Hi,

Anyone botanists interested in seeing Irish Lady's Tresses, Spiranthes romanzoffiana in Ireland; we have a number of them appearing each year in Co. Leitrim (From 3rd week July to end August). Would also love to hear from anyone who has recorded them from Western Scotland or the Hebrides as we would love to take a trip to see how they are faring in other places! We have been recording numbers of Spiranthes for the past 5 years, and they are very vulnerable to a wet summer! (Link below, if that is allowed!)
F.F.

http://www.loughallenbasin.com/3yrsumm.html

Hi everyone,

I'm 19 and on my gap year. In the past seven years of botanising I have seen 33 different species of orchid. This summer I am travelling around Britain and Ireland to see every species in one season. A fair challenge I know!

I will be heavily relying on this thread for updates on the stage of flowering of various species and hope I can contribute to it as well. Everything is planned so let's hope the spring arrives soon!

Leif

Hi Leif,

Good to see another Wabber on this forum.

Looking forward to following your orchid exploits this year. Good luck!

Last year I managed to find all the orchid species currently growing on the Isle of Wight (including a Frog/Common-spotted hybrid not previously recorded), plus a few more on the immediate mainland. This year I'm hoping to travel a bit further to see some more species - but not quite as ambitious as your project!

Rog

Hi Leif,

Good to see another Wabber on this forum.

Looking forward to following your orchid exploits this year. Good luck!

Last year I managed to find all the orchid species currently growing on the Isle of Wight (including a Frog/Common-spotted hybrid not previously recorded), plus a few more on the immediate mainland. This year I'm hoping to travel a bit further to see some more species - but not quite as ambitious as your project!

Rog

Cheers Rog, let me know if you need any help.

Hi everyone,

I'm 19 and on my gap year. In the past seven years of botanising I have seen 33 different species of orchid. This summer I am travelling around Britain and Ireland to see every species in one season. A fair challenge I know!

Leif

Hi Leif
Good luck with the quest, and nice to see you over here from WAB too. This thread is usually amazing during the summer months.

Ian

Hi everyone,

I will be heavily relying on this thread for updates on the stage of flowering of various species and hope I can contribute to it as well. Everything is planned so let's hope the spring arrives soon!

Leif

Hi Leif

I wish you much luck, as the weather is the biggest influence on how successful you can be, and we all know how unpredictable that can be!Your quest has been attempted a few times in the recent past, to my knowledge, and has come somewhat unstuck because of it.

You may like to email me off forum so that I may offer you the benefit of my recent experiences in order to make your quest more successful and fulfilling (and perhaps save you some wasted time and effort).

It seems there is a WAB migration going on!

The warm weather has come suddenly, and Orchids have a habit of catching us out by re-orienting their season quite quickly, so we should keep a look out.

As for the "extremely good news" this summer, I now live a lot closer to the old Herefordshire Ghost sites, and also to the 2009 location, so hopefully my time will not be wasted. I have not been to any yet this year to check their status, but will be doing later on.

Cheers

GV

The warm weather has come suddenly, and Orchids have a habit of catching us out by re-orienting their season quite quickly, so we should keep a look out.

I had a look locally for Green-winged on Friday (19th) - last year I first saw them at this site on April 6th but so far no sign yet this year.

However Common Spotted rosettes are showing locally, found a few yesterday.

Rich M

A bee rosette at a south east London urban site on sat.

GV - think I can speak on behalf of BFers when I say that we are delighted in your house move.

Hi Leif

I wish you much luck, as the weather is the biggest influence on how successful you can be, and we all know how unpredictable that can be!Your quest has been attempted a few times in the recent past, to my knowledge, and has come somewhat unstuck because of it.

You may like to email me off forum so that I may offer you the benefit of my recent experiences in order to make your quest more successful and fulfilling (and perhaps save you some wasted time and effort).

It seems there is a WAB migration going on!

Cheers

GV

Thanks GV, certainly up for the challenge!

Several Man Orchid rosettes located in Dartford - echo what Sean has said regarding the weather - I reckon these plants will be in flower mid - late May as normal now the warm weather has begun.

James

First in flower this year?

Attached photo taken this afternoon, about 150yds from where I saw one in flower on April 1st last year!

Nice to see the regulars posting again this year, good luck and regards to all,
Alan

Attachments

• Early Purple, 22 Apr 2013.jpg
    Early Purple, 22 Apr 2013.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 165
Hi everyone,

Leif
Good luck on your quest. You should get plenty of help on here from fellow orchid hunters.

Brian Laney.

Three Early-purple spikes and one Green-winged today at a site on the Isle of Wight. About 2 weeks later than last year.

RP2_5253a.jpg

RP2_5242a.jpg

Rog

Early Purple mid Wiltshire

Visited woodland site in central Wiltshire on Tuesday and found one early purple flower spike and two rosettes without flowers. Looked really strong and healthy and should flower next week. Want to go to Durlston Head near Swanage to find Early Spider Orchids, does anyone know if they are ready yet?

Want to go to Durlston Head near Swanage to find Early Spider Orchids, does anyone know if they are ready yet?

According to today's entry on the Durlston Country Park Facebook page the Early Spiders are starting to flower in small numbers and another week should see many more.

Rog

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back