• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 32mm Trinovid binoculars (1 Viewer)

Nice long eye relief for a change! 17mm for the 8x32 and 16mm for the 10x32. FOV is smaller in the 8x32.

Bob

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the quoted eye relief is according to ISO or is the available relief that is, measured from the plane of the eye cup to the user's eye?

8x32 is disappointing - 372ft FOV is not competitive in an 8x32 and both the 8x and 10x are a bit heavy for their size. FOV is surprising - did not expect such a narrow FOV. I hope it's a typo in the specs.

ER, close focus and size all look very good. It should be a little shorter size than my Viper HD 6x32.

10x32 has decent FOV at 342ft.

Edit: I misinterpreted the dimensions. It is actually 5.1" tall, so it's not quite as small as I thought.

Last edited:
It appears that the eye cups may be removable. See comments in "Eye pieces for eye glass wearers" in the specs.

Bob

It is good to see Leica is bringing out the 32 mm Trinovid HD's. I have tried the 8x42 Trinovid HD and it is
a very nice binocular.

The FOV does seem narrow in the 8x32 @ 372 ft. per 1,000. The Zeiss Conquest which is its closest
competitor is 420 ft. per 1,000. That is a large difference.

I suspect that in use, the Leica quality fit and finish will be very good, and this would be a
worthy binocular to enjoy.

Jerry

That may be resolved soon, but in the meantime, writing to them can help. Copying from a post by me a few months back:"...Leica have been mysteriously getting the figures on their website wrong recently. Attached is the amazing set it showed for the Ultravid-Plus 32s with my queries and corrections. I emailed this to them and they quickly remedied it."

Hopefully it will be resolved soon. Currently on the Leica website the fov of the 8x42 Trinovid is given as 124 meters @ 1000 meters and 414 feet @ 1000 yards.

Stuff like this should be embarrassing to Leica.:eek!::-O

Ceasar,
You wrote "It appears that the eye cups may be removable. See comments in "Eye pieces for eye glass wearers" in the specs."

Am I right in assuming, therefore, that I could use them without eyecups and not scratch the plastic lenses of my spectacles? Or would I have to super-glue O rings to the front surface of the surrounding housings, which is what I have had to do with other optics?

Mak,

Neither Zeiss nor Opticron seem to be part of the norm.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon. Currently on the Leica website the fov of the 8x42 Trinovid is given as 124 meters @ 1000 meters and 414 feet @ 1000 yards.

Stuff like this should be embarrassing to Leica.:eek!::-O

It sure comes across from top to bottom that really just aren't concerned... Such as this has been the norm for them for quite a while...

I believe the FOV spec has been mistakenly swapped between the 8x32 and 8x42 - the 8x32 should be 414 ft

Thanks James. I was hoping it was a typo. The 8x and 10x are quite haeavy for 32mm class (10x32 is 24 oz !!). The weight along with the miserable FOV in the 8x32 would be a huge disappointment. I would say Leica blew it here and this in no way could compete with Zeiss Conquest 8x32.

Fingers and toes crossed the FOV is 414ft.

Last edited:
Ceasar,
You wrote "It appears that the eye cups may be removable. See comments in "Eye pieces for eye glass wearers" in the specs."

Am I right in assuming, therefore, that I could use them without eyecups and not scratch the plastic lenses of my spectacles? Or would I have to super-glue O rings to the front surface of the surrounding housings, which is what I have had to do with other optics?

------

The notation after Eyepieces for eyeglass wearers is "Yes, removable, with 4 click stops."

I think what they mean is that the eye cups can be removed to clean the oculars. On my 8x42 Ultravid BL this is done by pulling them straight up from the closed position. On my EDG and Zeiss Victory and Swarovski SLC they can be screwed off and back on.

I wouldn't try to use the binocular while the eye cups were removed. I would have to hold it rather far away from my eyes.

Bob

Last edited:
Posted some comments about them in the Biggest Week thread but forget to mention the eye relief is very generous.

On my EDG and Zeiss Victory and Swarovski SLC they can be screwed off and back on.
Bob

Off Topic:

Bob .... Have you ever unscrewed the eye cup on your Nikon EDG? There is nothing in the manual that I could find that says they can be unscrewed. I have not tried it because I do not want to risk breaking anything.

Thanks.

Bruce:

I have unscrewed them on both the 32mm and 42mm EDGs. You can do that very easily---I dare to say the EDG eyecups are ones of the best.

Peter.

Off Topic:

Bob .... Have you ever unscrewed the eye cup on your Nikon EDG? There is nothing in the manual that I could find that says they can be unscrewed. I have not tried it because I do not want to risk breaking anything.

Thanks.

Yes. As Pesto says it can be done very easily and they come off and go back on very smoothly.

I had an EDG I which Nikon replaced with my EDG II and its eye cups worked the same way. I'm not sure, but I think there was something in the literature that came with them that noted they could be unscrewed.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back