• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10X Zoom and all that! (1 Viewer)

PDK

I want to photograph birds and print the results to A4 size so I'm thinking about a digital camera with a 10X zoom lens. I've seen 2 or 3 good write-ups on models recently.

However, I've also noticed that camcorders routinely come with a 20x, or even 30x, magnification so I'm thinking 'would I be better to invest in a camcorder and print stills from the pictures taken?'

Seems too good to be true!. Is there a catch? Is it just not possile to print still images from a camcorder? Are the lenses on camcorders not as good as those SLR type cameras, perhaps?

Any advice gratefully received.

PDK B :)

I think we need the expert opinion of one of our video cam experts (Paul Hackett spring to mind). From my own experience, the image capture device of video cams is the limiting factor to a large degree, they may say 2.1mp output....but it's rarely of a quality to match a stills camera. Some of the more expensive videocams with larger capture devices (or 3ccd) may help.

You really need about 3mp to get a good A4 print, but be aware that 10x zoom isn't that much when you're talking about bird photography and the bird may look small in the final image (get closer or shoot larger birds!).... maybe needing to be cropped to enlarge the subject, thus reducing the amount of pixels in the image for a good print.

Regards,
Andy

I have a Canon XM1 with 20X zoom. video quality is really good but I am afraid that the still quality is not usually acceptable from a camcorder, evne with a long zoom such as this. 35mm or a digital SLR with a big aperture (f4 or wider) long lens (600 mm at least - and will be expensive) is still the best as video scoping at least with me yet is very hit and miss.

I have just purchased a Sony DCR-PC330 with a 10x Carl Zeiss lens which is able to capture stills at 3 megapixels. So far I have had acceptable results using a 2x teleconverter and am experimenting using my EagleEye 5x OpticZoom lens. I can hand-hold the camcorder with the 2x attached but the 5x needs supporting on a tripod and my first attempts indicate a very shallow depth of field and focussing needs to be precise.

Thanks for the advice folks. It gives me something to ponder and has cleared up one or two areas of doubt for me.

Happy birding

PDK

Shutter Speed please. My Oly 530 w 7.5 dig zoom is cool most of the time but, I really want to shoot fast If I shoot to soon after a shot the delay can be maddening as the bird wings off to the next county
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back