• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bullfinch (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
Great excitement here - we've just seen a female taking a bath on the edge of the little cascade that falls down to a lower pool before overflowing into the pond. (Sorry - rather difficult to describe the set-up). We don't see bullfinches very often here - probably the first for at least a couple of months.

helenol said:
Nice one EB! :t:
Thanks Helen - I've found a pic of the cascade that I was trying to explain.

The robin is in the lower pool, but the rim over which the water runs is a favourite place. This was when the pond was fairly new - the rocks are all beautifully weathered and partially coverd with moss now.

Can anyone think of a better way of describing the set-up for me?

Attachments

• PICT0032.JPG
    PICT0032.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I love seeing Bullfinchs as they are few and far between around here, but if you travel about 15 miles away they are quite numerous.

I can't think of a name for your set up, but I might just turn up on your doorstep complete with deckchair and a bottle of wine, it looks such a relaxing spot after a hard stressful day at work.

Marmot said:
I love seeing Bullfinchs as they are few and far between around here, but if you travel about 15 miles away they are quite numerous.

I can't think of a name for your set up, but I might just turn up on your doorstep complete with deckchair and a bottle of wine, it looks such a relaxing spot after a hard stressful day at work.

You'll be very welcome - but when you've negotiated the roads to reach me, you'll need a crate of wine at least - and a week in the spare room to recover!

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Great excitement here - we've just seen a female taking a bath on the edge of the little cascade that falls down to a lower pool before overflowing into the pond. (Sorry - rather difficult to describe the set-up). We don't see bullfinches very often here - probably the first for at least a couple of months.
Nice water feature - wish I had room in my garden for one. We've had a pair of bullfinches in our garden this year - they seem to like nyjer seed - and I've also seen a juvenile with them on occasions too. Such a beautiful bird - I sit and stare at them for ages whenever they appear. I think I was even more excited to see my first bullfinch than when the first goldfinch arrived. Good stuff that nyjer seed.

The bullfinch returned today, bringing her boyfriend! She bathed and splashed in the upper pool for some time, sharing it with three bluetits - but he flew off to a nearby shrub.

You're all luckier than me - I haven't seen any since last summer - and then not in my garden, but in the woods about quarter of a mile away :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back