• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this Growth on this bird's leg? (1 Viewer)

massdog23

Trying to figure out what this growth is on this Finch's (??) leg. Any ideas? I hope we're not feeding our outside birds too much. We're brand new to the bird community. Pic attached.

Attachments

• DSC_0837.JPG
    DSC_0837.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 109
Hi, and welcome to Bird Forum.

It looks like the growth is the result of an infection or something similar. It may have received a cut or developed a tumor. It appears otherwise quite healthy and is obviously feeding, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also, I wouldn't worry about feeding the birds too much, when they've had enough, they'll stop eating.

Cheers.

Looks to be avian pox.

As soon as I saw your title of the thread, I knew it had to be a House Finch. They are known for this along with conjunctivitis of the eyes. Very sad.

A warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

The only problems you can get with feeding setups is when you get a high number of birds.

Then there is the possibility that diseases are being spread as a result of close and shared proximity by multiple birds at said feeding site. Unless you see evidence that a good portion of your birds are developing these sorts of conditions, you can probably continue as usual.

Thank you for all your responses!! That helped! So far, she is the only bird with this infection, but we will remember to clean the feeders as much as possible. We have a healthy community of birds that like to feed, so we'll keep an eye on them.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back