• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest boxes and feeders: optimum location (1 Viewer)

ormulum

Hi

I'm considering getting a nest box but was wondering what the best position for it would be in relation to feeders?

I've read somewhere that the nest box should really be mounted as far away as possible form any feeders being used so that there is breathing space between territories. Is this correct or doesn't it matter?

thanks

Yes- try to place them as far away from feeders and birdbaths as possible. The noise etc can disturb the nesting birds. always put the nest box in a quiet, shaded place.

One of the main things you should consider in the placement is the direction it should be between North and South East to avoid strong sunlight going on it as you do not want the little ones to overheat

I recently read that direction doesn't matter, in fact, I've never paid attention to that, and I have bird boxes in all different directions, and they all get used. Just make sure, as mentioned, to keep them away from feeding areas, and don't put them close to other boxes. Shade, sun, either way, the birds will use it. As for the over heating thing, if the nest box has vent holes, the birds will be ok.

Hi Joe,
Can i ask: I have two Blue Tit boxes approx 20ft apart - is this a omen? Also: i have feeders along one side of garden, the nest boxes are at the back of garden, so, they are about 40 ft or so away from my nut feeders - will this also affect my potential chances of a Blue Tit entering it....The garden is approx 150ft long & 60ft wide. Thanks

I'm not too familiar with the birds over by you, but basically it all depends on if the species is territorial. For example, I have several nestboxes in my yard, 6 to be exact. As we all know, house sparrows will have no troulbe what-so-ever nesting amongst eachother. Same goes for starlings, and several other species. However, wrens, which I get every year, will NOT appreciate any birds, especially their own kind, nesting nearby. I have a wren house facing directly towards a bluebird house, but about 50 feet apart. Usually, house sparrows try to set up shop in the bluebird house. The last 5 years I've had house wrens in the wren house, and some have allowed the bluebird house to be used, and others have viciously attacked any birds that try that house. Basically, you have to read up on the birds you have, and find out if they are territorial or not. If they are, they will be really stressed about birds either nesting, or feeding, too close to their house. My feeders are within 40 feet of the wren house, but blocked from view by trees. I also host wrens in the front yard, right around the corner of the house, and they never see each other, so it works out. Give your setup a try, and if you see problems, shift things around.

Have had Tree Swallows and Bluebirds sharing nests within 5 feet of each other. The Tree Swallows will act more strongly to defend the shared space against intruders.
Joel1980 is so right about House Wrens, they are enchanting singers, full of joy, but they are dangerous neighbors. They will destroy nests that they deem too close, piercing the eggs with their beak. So give them nest sites well away from other birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back